HybridZ

exhaust/boost leak?

BobbyZ

I have a 81 280zx turbo that I have just aquired a couple of weeks ago.

When it is cold it sounds like it has an exhaust or intake leak somewhere. It seems like it only happens when the engine is under load, making it hard to pinpoint when the car is sitting in the driveway. Once the car has warmed up the sound goes away and it feels like the car gains a few horsepower.

I crawled around underneath it looking for any sign of an exhaust leak and I couldnt find anything. I am thinking it is either an intake leak or a leak at the wastegate. Anyone have any tips for finding this leak? I have inspected the engine bay and there is nothing obvious.

there's a good chance that the rear most exhaust stud near the firewall has broken off. This is fairly common on these cars and will cause an exhaust manifold leak. My 83 ZXT had this issue, while cold it was a good bit louder and the turbo sounded like it was screaming until the car would warm up.

If all else fails, find a shop that has a smoke machine. We only charge 1 hour to test for most leaks, and it really only takes 2 seconds to find intake/exhaust leaks.

(or I guess you could disconnect a vacuum line, get a cigar, and start puffing):lol: