HybridZ

Headers for '90 5.7L TPI in 280Z

Guys,

I recently picked up a '90 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7L TPI & C5 that has full length headers with dual cats and EGR tubes. The car passed CA smog inspection that way in December. These headers don't look like Edelbrock or SLP, and I can't find anything on the Web that looks quite like them. The owner thought they might be by Rewarder, but their site doesn't have anything similar either. They probably won't fit in the Z chassis anyway, so I'm looking for other options:

1) A set of block huggers with EGR tubes that will fit the Z?

2) A set of block huggers that I can weld these EGR tubes onto? Will that pass CA smog?

3) Any other ideas I haven't considered?

4) Last resort, a set of stock iron exhaust manifolds with EGR tubes? Does anybody have a set available?

Whatever I end up this will get ceramic coated when finished, so let's hear from you guys that have already been down this path.

Thanks,

Steve

Okay guys, it's pretty lean pickings when I'm the only guy to reply to my own post in 4 days, but...

I spoke to Sanderson today and they recommend their CC90 block hugger headers for 280 Z conversions. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they fit well?

I did find out that they are available with, or without EGR tubes, and from plain steel to painted, plated, or ceramic coated. Help me out so I can buy the right stuff the first time.

Thanks,

Steve

This may not help, but I picked up a set of OE Corvette manifolds from that vintage engine at a swap meet for $25, iirc. I think I've seen them on ebay. They're actually tube block huggers with sheet metal heat shields. I've cut off the egr tubes already, intending to use them on my build, but when I test fitted them I discovered they didn't hug the block well enough to suit my situation.

Hark! Here's an ebay auction for a similar set: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-1990-Corvette-L98-OEM-Exhaust-manifolds-LT1-84-96_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33632QQihZ017QQitemZ270219120447QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW. The opening bid price and shipping seem high, and in any case whether they'd be suitable is completely unknowable, at least by me.

FWIW the outlets dump approximately straight down from the head, while aftermarket block huggers follow the contours of the block more closely, in case that helps visualizing whether they might fit.

In any case, best of luck. -- Gary

Since you want this to pass swog I'm guessing your 280 is a '76, '77. or '78. A '75 would let you off the hook for the bi-annual inspection.

So, one other thing to look at for header clearance is room for the temperature sensors in the heads (one in each head, one for the ECM and one for the guage). I have a '91 305 tpi motor in my Z. I bought a set of Patriot block huggers. They clear everything but the sensor connectors. I had to modify the connectors and the result is less than satisfactory. I have the motor out of my car at this time for some other work and I'm going to change the headers while it's out.

Did Sanderson mention anything to you about temp sensor clearance?

Edit: Whatever you buy get ceramic coated: looks good, no rust, no paint to burn off or discolor, no maintenance. Well worth the extra cost.

Also, I put my O2 bung in the head pipe. It don't think there is anywhere it would fit or clear in the header. Mine is about two inches from the flange and it works just fine there.

I've got a '79 ZX which has an '89 TPI engine. I bought blockhuggers from JTR and had a local shop weld the smog tubes to them so that I can run all of the smog equipment that came on the engine (still stock). My setup may not be relevant to what you are doing, though.

John

Guys,

I just spoke to Sanderson and JTR about headers. Sanderson sells their CC5 headers to JTR and they are 5 degrees tighter to the block than the CC90s. According to JTR, they also clear the temperature sensor as far as they know. I'm buying mine plain, then adding the EGR tubes. After they're finished, I can get them ceramic coated by JTR, Sanderson, or another local vendor here in SoCal. Sanderson can add the EGR tubes for a price of about $100, but they won't carry an EO number for CA smog, so I'm going to do my own and see what happens with the emissions referee station. I'll keep you posted on this site.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve

Guys,

...Sanderson sells their CC5 headers to JTR and they are 5 degrees tighter to the block than the CC90s. According to JTR, they also clear the temperature sensor as far as they know...

Steve

Yup. The NEW CC5's clear with lots of room. What was fooling me is that at some point in time Sanderson changed the design of the CC5. I was looking at some old pictures. I ordered a new set a few days ago.

Heads-up: You can get the CC5's cheaper from JTR than from Sanderson directly.

Steve, if it were me I'd just get the headers from Sanderson with EGR tubes and the coating applied. You are going to get the same results in the end and will probably save some money that way. JMHO. Will Sanderson honor their warranty after the headers have been modified by others?

The waranty question is a good one. I hadn't considered that. I guess I'll have to make one more call to Sanderson tomorrow. I ordered my headers from JTR this morning, but their currently on back order from Sanderson anyway, so I'll be able to work this out in time. Thanks for the great question. Maybe I can work out a deal between JTR and Sanderson for this option with warranty.

Steve

P.S. I'm starting to go through the bottom end of the 98k miles 5.7L TPI this weekend to refresh the bearings, rings, oil pump, timing chain, seals and gaskets in preparation for the conversion. It shouldn't be too many more months before it is sitting in the Z engine bay. The only unknown potential issue will be bores once I remove the heads - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't be going to the machine shop as well.

I just spoke to the good folks at Sanderson Headers and they told me that welding on the EGR tubes would not void the warranty on the CC5 headers, so I'm looking forward to delivery from JTR next week so I can get them modified and sent out for ceramic coating.

It will probably be several months, but I will definitely post a final message on this thread (with pictures) once they are installed and I know whether the CA smog referee station buys them off. That should help others in Calif. with '76 or later Zs in my position.