HybridZ

Help - Driveshaft won't bolt up to R200 pinion flange

ktm

I have a 1972 240z with a R180. I just swapped in a 3.70 LSD from an 89 turbo and I have a R200 pinion flange from a 1975 280z as well as the stub axles. The stubs bolt up fine to the half shafts, but my driveshaft will not bolt up to the pinion flange.

The inner circle on the driveshaft yolk that rests inside the pinion flange is larger than the R200 female circle. As a result I can not get my driveshaft to bolt up.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

I just went through this like 3 weeks ago. You need to get an input flang from a 280z with a r200 in it. Its a round flange. If i had an extra one i would send it to ya but i dont. Thats how i actually got my lsd i was swapping out my r200 from my turbo zxt into my my 260 which had the r180. So i went to my friends house to see if he had one and he did but it was on a lsd and was about to take it off and i was like, well how much for the whole thing. He said i $100 bucks and i said sold before he even finished saying it lol. Good luck finding one.

I have swapped the input flange on the R200. It was a round one from the LSD and I swapped in the square one from an R200 from a 280z. The driveshaft will not bolt up.

There is a circular recess in the input flange on the diff. This circular recess is SMALLER than the circular protrusion on the 240z driveshaft. The bolt holes are the same dimension apart, but the driveshaft flange will not sit flush with the diff pinion flange.

As I understand it, nearly all automatic 280zs came with R-180s. I bought an R200 (3.54) for the stub axles and the pinion flange.

Now my 240z was apparently an automatic at one point and a previous owner swapped it over to a manual. Saying that, he may have snagged either a 70-71 driveshaft or there may be a difference between the manual and automatic driveshafts.

Found out my problem. I have a flange from a 1975 R200. This MY 280z is the only year where the flange is not compatible with the driveshaft as the bolt diameter AND spacing is different.

I will either need a new flange or a 1975 driveshaft.