HybridZ

Need some input...

Drax240z

Picking up a R200 (3.54:1) and also the finned rear diff cover. I don't have any problems or issues with making the required brace for the rear to clear the finned cover. What I am wondering is can I turn that brace into a rear diff support as well, and do away with the moustache bar? It would be a SOLID mount in the rear then, no bushings rubber or otherwise. Too noisy?

I think Mike Kelly said he was running a solid front diff mount. If I use a rubber front mount and the solid rear do you think I'll get tons of drivetrain noise?

I may just have to scrounge up a 280z moustache bar, no biggie. But if I can make something that will work as well or better then I might as well.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

My entire engine, trany, and rear end are all solid mounts (used to race this beast). I would be extreemly cautious about a rubber front mount and solid rear mount, because the aluminum cover will crack if the the front mount flexes any. Use all rubber or all solid but don't mix them. In my particular application, I used 1/4" single, very wide, aluminum plate that replaces the two 4" wide steel suspension supports, the mustache bar, and the sway bar supports, all in one piece. The diff cover bolts onto the middle of it, and the sway bar bushings bolt onto each end, just above the rear suspension pivot points (rubber bushings). To mount this plate I simply used 6 bolts. 4 that held the original 4" wide steel uprights to the chassis, and the 2 bolts that held the mustache bar in place on the chassis. With the front diff mount being solid, it makes for a very stiff set-up. Unfortunately, it does make a little more noise this way, but it is not objectionable.

Terry Oxandale

What I've considered is getting a solid diff mount but putting a piece of rubber on either side of it before mounting it. My thought is that this might dampen the vibrations. Say cut out a piece from an old truck innertube maybe? Not thick but enough to absorb some. Hey, maybe some of those sorbothane shoe inserts? Too thick?