HybridZ

Fuel starvation issue

2savage

If a vane style fuel pump is being used and is mounted in the engine bay fairly high up, is it possible that it could have difficulty if you run out of fuel and air gets into the fuel delivery line? (I'm feeding triple weber 45's).

My plan for a remedy is to fit a second pump low down near the tank. Does it matter what style that pump is?

When I ran Webers, I used a single EFI pump at the tank with a return loop. The EFI pump had way too much pressure for the Webers but the return loop had an adjustable restrictor (valve) in it that let the excess fuel bleed back to the tank and kept the Webers at 3psi. It worked fine. Simple is good. Maybe you can mount your vane pump under the tank.

After installing the second pump (Holley Red) next to the tank and as low as the bottom of the tank, there has been a total transformation of this car!! Not only is the fuel starvation issue gone, but the engine has reached new levels of performance. It feels like at least another 50bhp has been found and this car is now a thoroughbred instead of a cart horse.

I took it out over the weekend to a place where I could open her up and it was still pulling strong past 110mph before I ran out of space. Not bad for a 35 year old car.

It passed it's safety inspection too so I'm entered for my first autocross next Sunday.