HybridZ

Possible solution for 10mm Ring gear to 12mm carrier?

pparaska

Here's his written info:

"These internal wrenching hex-head bolts have been used int the machine tool industry for an eternity. They have shoulders of whatever size you specify, with thread engagement and legnths as required. The heads have heads appropriate for the threads used, so going to a 12mm shoulder to a 10mm threaded section should be no problem at all. I buy mine at a local industrial hardware store called McFadden-Dale. I have never looked into this particular application for a usage, but they most definately make a bolt that should fit closely with your requirements, and can be used from there with minor machining adaptations."

If anyone rounds up a PN/source for a suitable bolt we're all ears:-) Or just gets to measuring for bushings...

I know Ross C has been after a set of spacers to use a 10mm ring gear in a 12mm carrier and found that "Tony D" posted about a particular bolt type that might be available to use a 10mm bolt Ring gear on a 12mm carrier. The link is:

http://zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=4&i=12532&t=12196

My only concern would be the material of these bolts. Usually, socket head bolts are grade 8, but that might be too brittle for this application.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Ya' know... with so many of us going to 3.7LSD and T56 trannies and then finding we don't get enough RPM at cruise perhaps this is something that should be looked at more? The 3.9 R200s are supposed to be somewhat common, what about deeper gears that that? Would the .2 difference over the 3.7 make a big difference? What would it take to get a decent cruise RPM? I'm not yet to the point of having to worry abotu this but am thinking ahead on it. Would a 4 series gear make first useless?

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

I am looking at the R200 VLSD from the n/a Z32s. They all have 4.089:1 gears and are all VLSDs. They are plentiful and cheap compared to the "clutch type" R200 LSDs. Mark Icard has a R230 in his S30 Z, so my reasoning behind this swap is that if a larger R230 can be put in a S30 then a smaller R200 VLSD should be able to work as well...I won't know for sure, but I can't see any reason why it can't be made to work, as I am still a few months away from that portion of the project.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

For whatever it's worth, I just picked up a r200 clutch lsd assembly and gearset. I have a 3.54 and 3.9 open r200 and am going to attempt to put together a 3.9 r200.

The z32 viscous stuff is the way to go, they're plentifull and cheap.

And BTW, z32 non turbo is a r200 viscous diff. Only z32 turbos have r230 viscous diffs.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Let me know how it goes Chris. If that swap can be done and stronger CVs done along with it that would be VERY cool. If you can get it such that it doesn't require too much fabbing and kit the sucker people will be screaming for the parts. Just don't tell anyone until I've sold off my LSD R200 for something in the $500 range first smile.gif

Morgan I'm also interested in how your swap turns out. I was told the diff I've got is a 3.90 but I'm now not sure it's an R180 - looks pretty close to the R200 and the moustache bar looked R200 style too. I DID find a page that described using stainless tubing to make spacers for the ring gears, honestly I think ARP would be a better source. I've talked to folks that have had them make bolts before but it wasn't cheap. Shouldered capscrews might be worth a shot and certainly cheaper, possibly quicker to get too. For now I'm worrying about getting my 3.7 swapped in and the rest done - I'll fine tune things like gear ratio and CV stuff next Winter perhaps. No sense getting too deep into it just yet.

Guest Anonymous

well since my r200 is foobar then i am working with mark icard and getting the r230 for mine also. he has really helped alot already and if we both work on trying different cv shafts then maybe we can find a easy swap. i will be going tomorrow and do some junk yard shopping of my own. trying to get the rear done again and then get another fuel cell. looking forward to having an lsd in the car and then giving it a try. the motor has plenty of power, now if i can just plant it to the ground.

Guest Anonymous

Speeder,

Did you consider going with the R200 VLSD from the Z32 instead of the R230?

I know Mark said that he has experienced some vibrations with his setup due to the halfshafts. I hope he is able to get this worked out as it certainly sounds like a cost effective alternative to the clutch R200. I saw an article the other day regarding driveline vibrations in V8 Z cars and for the life of me I can't remember were it came from...I think it was Ross C. Anyway, when I read it I immediately thought of Mark and meant to send him an e-mail with the address but one thing lead to another and I never got around to it.

If anyone knows the article I am talking about could you please post the address...

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, I have a write-up on driveshaft vibration issues due to excessive u-joint angles on my site:

http://members.home.net/pparaska/drivelinemods.htm

Don't know if that was the one you were talking about. I know I read some other stuff on halfshaft vibrations on someones page but can't find it. It seems Paul Ruschman had problems with this and raised the back of the differential to fix it, but I can't remember if it was him for sure. Anyway, CV's in the halfshafts are much more forgiving as far as vibrations and joint angles over 3 degrees - because they are "constant velocity" biggrin.gif.

Guest Anonymous

I believe i know where there are atleast 3 r230 but not sure about the r200. i will get both if possible and try them both and see which works better. i am going to play with the angles to try and eliminate the drive vibration if i can. i will probably do away with the mustache bar and make a stiffer one since i half to relocate the holes anyway that way when i find the sweeet spot then i can have a bar that you just bolt on. no extra work.

before my universals went out i was doing dog legs down the road with the other catching up every so often. really put the car in a side kick instead of a straight launch when the tire would break loose.

i hammered it from a dead stop once and after i ended up doing a 360 i was able to carry it out doing a fish tail. well off to the yards. update later. i will be taking pictures of the swap and after i find a good medium then i will post it. later,

There is a guy that posted on the IZCC list that he's used a 240SX viscous carrier in a 280Z R200 case, but used 10mm to 12mm bushings in the viscous holes. He said they were readily available in New Zealand. I've emailed him to get more info.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited December 29, 2000).]

It sunk in for me a while ago, mostly due to your posts biggrin.gif.

I just want to find out from this guy where there "readily available" 10mm to 12mm bushings are sourced from, as this question comes up alot. I have a spare LSD that needs some clutch parts, and a set of used 3.545:1 gears I'd like to try swapping together as a backup diff to the 3.7:1 LSD that's in the car.

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

Ya' know... with so many of us going to 3.7LSD and T56 trannies and then finding we don't get enough RPM at cruise perhaps this is something that should be looked at more? The 3.9 R200s are supposed to be somewhat common, what about deeper gears that that? Would the .2 difference over the 3.7 make a big difference? What would it take to get a decent cruise RPM? I'm not yet to the point of having to worry abotu this but am thinking ahead on it. Would a 4 series gear make first useless?

BLKMGK:

-1st is already useless even with a stock Lt1 in a 240Z, Ron Tyler only used 1st ONCE with his OE Lt1/T56 240Z, I'm quite certain 1st is quite useless for many of use here when we're not on drag radials or R compounds

-what highway rpm's are you looking for? at 1000 rpm and higher mine makes enough torque to easily lope along with no luggin

-yes, GM 6spds were designed for GM to meet EPA standards;a .5 6th gear is not all the heaven some think it is, Miata's do it in nice fashion in their newer ones with a 'closer ratio' 6spd and 3.6 diff's or so with a .8 6th overdrive (not my choice of gears, but work well with that car)

-3.9 is only 5% over a 3.7 and <100rpm gain on an 1800rpm 6th gear cruise, I wouldn't put much effort into 3.9's vs. 3.7's, 4.11's would be v. worthwhile IMO and could make 3rd /4th etc a lot of fun on a mild-mid motor

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Some of the older T56's had different ratios with a slightly better 6th I think. I just hope I don't run into the issue Mikelly has with his car not being able to use 6th. My motor should be a little less high strung than his so it may indeed be able to pull a decent cruise RPM - we'll see. For now I'm not worrying abotu it. This will be something to sort out AFTER the darned car sees road duty I think. Still fun to benchrace and ponder though smile.gif Thanks for the info on 1st gear!