HybridZ

Aluminum driveshaft

Dan Juday

Is anybody running an aluminum driveshaft? The wrecking yard I got my motor from,(305tpi out of a '91 Firebird) gave me one from a Corvette in the package. I thought, "this is cool, better parts for free". Then I read some posts here that worry me. Mikelly heard about them failing in cop cars. Another guy had clearance problems between the hand brake and u-joints. The aluminum shaft is larger, 3" dia. If anybody knows about them let me know before I pay to have it sectioned and balanced.

Dan

Ron Tyler ran a custom aluminum one he had built at a place with a high speed balancer (not common at all I was told), his car I've been told be quite a few now was the smoothest V8z (Lt1/T56) they'd ever ridden/driven. My father now has his powertrain and will finish his swap this spring. I know the high speed balancing can't hurt but the lightweight alum. has to help a lot as well. He also swore by his pricier GM motor mounts that he felt were of a superiour rubber to the generic Sealed Power and others etc. Just passing that on..