HybridZ

What kind of sway bars???

Guest Choppafella

Guest Choppafella

So I've recently bought a '77 2 weeks ago. It needed an alternator and new fuel lines so I replaced them and now the engine runs great! It's strong and sound so I'm confident already in this car. The Z came with a 4 speed, and whenever I shift gears or hit the gas there is a thump in what sounds like the rear end, its like comparing to the car moving too fast and the rear end is trying to catch up. Any ideas on what this could be?

By the way, What kind of sway bars should I get and where is the best place to order???

I have yet to install a rear bar on my car but I am sure I don't want the kind that attaches to the body of the car, I would prefer the one that mounts to the rear near the mustache bar.

And let me say I dont understand what everyone is talking about with respect to the solid diff mount,I have had mine installed for nearly 10 years, installed it and forgot about it. However prior to installing the solid mount I had the diff rebuilt and when I first got it back I put it all together solid mount and all and I did notice alot of noise. I drove it like that for about 4k miles and enough is enough,pulled the diff took it back and had them do it again.Turns out pinion preload setting was wrong and the bearing was fried.

After reinstalling the diff no more noise,only a slight click working the clutch in and out quickly,never on the fly. I think the click is backlash on the gears that is normal.

Moral of the story, dont take anyone's word for it, put the thing in,try it and judge for yourself.