HybridZ

R200 QUESTION

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, I KNOW WE HAVE BEATEN THIS SUBJECT TO DEATH BUT I HAVE ONE MORE. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE 83 280ZX 0R A 300Z WITH CV SHAFTS CAN BE REPLACED WITH THE OUTPUT SHAFTS FROM A 76 R200. I KNOW THEY ARE UNIVERSAL STYLE BUT I WAS WONDERING IF THE SPLINES ARE THE SAME AND IF THE LOCK RING INSIDE IS THE SAME.

without looking at my reference material, I would say the the 280ZX turbo (cv-jointed) shafts will pop right into the R200 (but cannot vouch for the 300ZX shafts). I assume you are wanting to do put these half shafts on your '76. If you do, you may find problems on the wheel side. The 240 axles will accept the outboard spines, but the later 280 spline are a different size (even though the bearing journals are the same size).

Terry

Guest Anonymous

i was wanting to know because i have another r200 76 model and i have a 87 300zx rear carrier that is lsd. i want to put the carrier in the r200 and use my axels again with the universals until mark or myself can find an easy install for the r230. i have one of those also. i didn't know if the axel stubs going into the r200 76 model would work on a 87 300zx carrier. or would i have to use the 300zx axels? is the snap ring located in the same area or would this be different since the 87 had cv shafts. i am going to install the cv later but i need to get the car rolling again since i will be moving in a couple of months. i am moving to ALAMOGORDO NEW MEXICO. anybody live near there? i should be leaving come the beginning of march. thanks for the info. later, chris

Ummm, the 87 LSD should take the stock axles you've got now I think. My car is a 72 and the R200 LSD I've got took the older shafts just fine. Popped them out of the old diff, popped them right in the new one. Replaced the front pinion flange with the correct one and I'm good to go with the Neapco adapter. Not sure what front flange you'll need but it's probably different than what's on it and most likely what's on your current R200 open diff.

Whoa - SCRATCH THIS! When Mike was over the other day we discovered I had an R200 in my car already (smack!). The previous owner didn't mention it but had said it was a 3.9 rear. I didn't know better and even bought a R200 Mustache bar for the LSD swap - doh! I'm sorry if I misled anyone, the only other R200 I've seen is my LSD and it's finned cover looks nothing like the other covers I've seen (sigh). Heh, myabe later I'll get one of those PowerTrax diffs doe it smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited January 22, 2001).]