HybridZ

1974 260z 2+2: Set up in Race Mode!

JSM

This Question and answer is a good one. Distrubutor makes it a 5 cylinder?

Q: Hi, can you explain the race mode modifiation that you did under the hood? Did you just advance the timing? I don't understand. Ed from Ohio.

A: The distributor has a slide system that actually rotates the firing order around one whole cylinder basically they were too fast in 1974 so they bogged em when they shipped em by making it a 5 cylinder it's also how they passed emissions by not making the last cylinder in the power stroke they didn't produce too much gas emissions see they didn't use catalytic converters stock so they just measured burnt gas. So you slide the lower bracket one and then the upper bracket and technically it's at like 28degrees btc at the original marks but really it's at 8 degrees and firing all cylinder in the power stroke it took a while to get right but I beat 4.6 mustangs at ease cause of the rear being setup at 4.16 to one and the compression is 11 to 1 so you can see why they made em sell 60,000 before they could race that year, The 260 is actually a stroked 240 with a shorter head and bigger valves from the factory so you can why I don't want to get rid of it runs so nice. Starts like a new car and makes way more than 158 horse. You just have to stuff fuel in it and set the distributor right. This whole system and drive train will fit any 240z The engine trans and rear will fit any 280

haha, wow. it skips a cylinder to reduce emissions. but ALL that unburnt fuel gets dumped into the exhaust will INCREASE emissions. it's the reason why My Z wouldn't pass emissions. cylinder 3 was bleeding compression out the exhaust valve so a ton of raw gas was going into the pipe.