HybridZ

Rear End Whine

Guest Fast Frog

Guest Fast Frog

My daughter's boy friend has a 76Z with an R-200 rear end. Recently, the rear end started to make a whinning noise at speeds over 40+mph. It only whines when he accelerates or maintaining a constant spd at hiway spds of 55+. It's not a grinding or rubbing sound. And it isn't a clicking like bad CV joints. We checked the diff gear oil and found that it was about 3/4 qt low. He added the oil(80w90) but the whine is still there. Any ideas??

Rick frown.gif

Guest Fast Frog

Thanx, Morgan.

But I'm not looking to buy one. If need be, I've got a 78 R-200 sitting in a shed that we can replace the whinny one with. I'm really just looking to see if this whinny one can be cured.

Rick

Guest Tom Scala

Whining under the conditions you mention usually means worn ring and/or pinion gears. If it's not too severe and he's not drag racing it will probably run for a long time yet. Make sure he keeps an eye on that lube level.

Your whine is most probably because spacers are worn between the trans gears. I am told this happens with the R200 after about 150K. I have the same problem. Heavy oil with good old STP( but not much) will help.

Out of curiosity, how much play should a LSD R200 have if you turn the pinion flange by hand. I have one ready to put in my car (with no lube in it but ends sealed up) and I can turn the pinion back and forth and there is a slight give and tick noise. Any thoughts?