HybridZ

l28et bottem end suggestions?

Guest criderh

Guest criderh

I've been looking at the engine kit from the importperformance page...

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/pek-nissan.html

1300, yikes. I know hp=?$ but I'm shooting for the oh-so-popular 400 mark

So far I've bought a garret t3-4 hybrid, 4" intercooler, hks bov, apexi wideband, greddy bspec-2 bst/cntrl, some accel 500cc injectors, custom fuel rail, intake mnfld, exhaust mnfld, turbo back exhaust.

I've heard of the l24 rods with the modified forged l28 pistons from AZ, but they're flat tops, I'm having clearance q's(stock cam), and cr issues. I found a couple of posts that suggested around 8.5/1 but they're not very established sources.

I'm looking to run the stock crank, i don't know about the rods(???), forged pistons. Any verifiable combinations-(part numbers and shortcuts help too)

Helpful comments only please, I've done quite a bit of research since my last post....

Guest znow white

i think that price is okay there is a better one

if your shooting for 350 hp it can be done with cast pistons +1mm bore thicker head gasket arp head studs its all about your top end and your tune i would invest in head porting ss valves racing springs and maybe a cam but for sure head porting! and custom intake manifold will get you there

if your looking for an awesome kit check out http://racetep.com/xmasspecials.html#dat

"Z Car Turbo and High Compression N/A Performance Engine Rebuild Package:

Everything you need to build a kick-ass Normally aspirated or Turbo engine in 1 box.

JE Forged Piston Set with JE Rings,(Your choice of Bore Size, Stroke, and Compression Ratio )Clevite77 Rod and Main Bearings, 44mm and 35mm Stainless Steel Intake and Exhaust valves, Dual Race Valve Springs, TEP Performance Camshaft (Your choice of Grind), Complete Timing Gear Set, Turbo Oil-Pump with Dual Relief springs, ARP Head Stud Set, ARP Rod Bolt Set, Full Gasket set with METAL 1.0mm or 2.0mm Head Gasket...

$1995 "

I THINK this is a better deal with more perfomance part i was about to go with this kit but i dont know what happened i went on ebay called falcon global they made a listing for l28et i couldnt resist the price they gave me piston rings, pistons and pins, head gasket set and bottom set, rod bearing main bearings, oil pump and timing chain guides tensioner and sprocket for 500 shipped to canada too im just finishing up my build BUT now that im doing a custom intake manifold i wish AND WISH I ONLY got the racetep kit so i can do my head as well OH well

Do not waste your money on SS valves, etc from TEP. The stock Nissan turbo valves are just fine for 400 hp or more, and likely better quality than the stuff from TEP (Search HZ if you would like a second(and third..) opinion. If 400 is all you are going to do ever and your bores are in good shape, hone it and stick with the stock crank, 280 rods w/ARP bolts, and 86 mm forged flat-tops from any reputable company that will do around 8:1 compression with a P90 head and std head gasket. Use ARP head studs. Clevite 77 rod and main brgs, Nissan LD28 mains bolts (cheap - TQ is 60 ft-lbs). You can hit 400 on a stock turbo cam if you clean up the ports and unshroud the valves and have the supporting mods to match (some type of standalone EFI and timing control, efficient turbo, and fuel system). You are not going to have to rev it to make the power, it will be all done by 6200 rpm, so don't get in a sweat about high dollar valve train stuff. Stock Nissan springs will get it done or drop-in replacements from Crane, etc. The great thing about the L-series is that you will not be spending big dollars on machine shop work if you have a decent core. Make sure that you get the block and head surfaces machined to true them and let the shop know that the thing is being built for HP and the surface finish is important.

Search out posts by Braap regarding cylinder head stuff.

IF you are going to want in excess of 400 hp, things are different and a lot of this doesn't apply. It also gets really expensive - probably into not-worth-it territory considering the cost of other engine options for the Z.

I am getting ready to drop a new 3.0 build in my car. I will be unhappy if it doesn't break 480 hp. It will be the last L-series that goes into my car. If I spent the same money on a RB2530 or a 2JZ, it would make a lot more HP.

Cheers

Doug