HybridZ

tranny fubar word to the wise

Son and I swapped an 86 engine in to the good 85 we have. Used the 85 tranny as it was working fine the old engine just had leaky valve seal so bad she was burning oil at 1 qt per 500 mile. still dynnoed at 185 at the wheels but anyway changed out the throwout bearing bolted her up and away she went. Few weeks later clutch went out on #1 son. what up! pulled the tranny today found that the hardened round steel pivot point for the fork had sheared off. asked a friend with more experience and he said yes it happens. some folks just automatically replace that unit when the tranny is out. Something to think about if you got your tranny out sitting on the ground.

I figure it was vibration or stress fatigue because it was cleanly sheared off. There is no wear on fork or fulcrum pivot had some lube on it. there is no way to get shear force on the fulcrum pin as everything would just slide off. tranny guys I talked to said yes it happens not often. anyway easy to get off it is a 10mm thread into the bellhousing hex shaft with the hardened round head on that.