HybridZ

My timing keeps walking

Hey guys , ive searched and found tons of timing issues but none like mine. I have a 77 280z stock minus headers. The cars starts right up every time, revs fine , runs smooth but this is only set by ear. When I hooked up a timing light you can literally see my crank mark walking around in slow motion for the complete rotation. I cant even get a base mark. any ideas or suggestions?

My guess is your crank pulley/damper has come apart.

If I were you I wouldn't drive it at all until you fix that.

Mario

is that something you would be able to see. Bad thing is I had it powdercoated when I was rebuilding my motor, dont know if the powdercoat is sealing anything in.

Also I just noticed my dizzy bracket was powdercoated to, and Im not to sure on the ground wire there if that has anything to do with it. I sanded all the powder coat on all my ground points in the engine, too late to start it and try it (kinda loud)

My cap sparks the hell out of me too when I try to adjust it, on Hondas never happend to me, is it normal?

Thanks

• Administrators
When I hooked up a timing light you can literally see my crank mark walking around in slow motion for the complete rotation.

I'm with Mario on this. If timing was actually changing by a full rotation, the car would run audibly different while idling. It would quit running in a short period.

is that something you would be able to see.

If you were looking for it... match-mark both rear pulley's. They are isolated from each other with vulcanized rubber. If separation has begun, it will show in the match-marks. If you find that this is the case, do not continue to run the engine until you sort it out.

Bad thing is I had it powdercoated when I was rebuilding my motor

The temperatures powdercoating is normally done at strike me as incompatible with the isolation material.

I'm with Mario on this. If timing was actually changing by a full rotation, the car would run audibly different while idling. It would quit running in a short period.

If you were looking for it... match-mark both rear pulley's. They are isolated from each other with vulcanized rubber. If separation has begun, it will show in the match-marks. If you find that this is the case, do not continue to run the engine until you sort it out.

The temperatures powdercoating is normally done at strike me as incompatible with the isolation material.

Thanks for your input guys, ill check those things tomorrow.