HybridZ

Hey John Scott!!!!

Guest zfan

John, on that 700r4 trans did you have it set up so the trans automatically shifted into overdrive or did you have a toggle switch of some sort for overdrive when you needed it? Am installing it as we speak so any help would be a big help!!

Thanks in advance, Ill try to find your number and give you a call as well.

Mike

Mike,

I dont know how John Scott has his set up; however, the automatic shift into O-drive has been a solved issue on the 700's for some time.

Check your B&M catalogue if you have one-they sell a valve, I believe, this goes in the valve body. That valve will more or less let you shift manually; & when not shifting manually still maintain the auto shift into o-drive.

Any trans shop worth their salt should be aware of the 700's shifting prowress & be able to eliminate/solve that problem for you. If you absolutely have to have the trans in now & cant wait; the valve goes into the valve body-so get the trans in & a shop or compitent tech can make the changes later.

Hope this helps; if it doesnt-Then, Never Mind.

Kevin,

Hi Mike, wait a minute, the 700 has 4 forward gears, the last being a .7:1 ratio, overdriven. All you do is shift to 4th, assuming you are going fast enough for the trans. to shift. This isn't a electronically activated gear. I assume you have a good shifter. Set it up carefully as the detents are small. 7, 4 for the forward gears, P,R,N. Perhaps you are talking about the lock up? I used Toy Shops wiring and valvebody switch upgrade. It is wired to the 4th gear switch in the valve body. When you shift to 4th it locks up the converter. Really the only gear it is needed. Don't defeat this feature as it is part of the lubrication circuit in 4th. The wire coming from the side connector splices to a "ignition on" hot wire. Some wire in a brake defeat switch so it doesn't buck at low speeds when braking in 4th. I always pulled it manually into 3rd at really low speeds. This defeats lock up as well. The only B&M valve I know about is for the "lesser" non Vette 700s that have the nasty habit of downshifting into 3rd at full throttle. The valve still doesn't allow 100% full throttle. Not to worry with this trans as it stays in 4th as long as you want to, or your Z becomes airborne. I've seen 160+! Don't recommend it to anyone in a stock body, brakes, etc. E-mail or call if you need anything. Watch out for that 1-2 shift...its nasty!

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited February 19, 2001).]