HybridZ

Slave cylinder for a T-56

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Help!

I just bought a 1995 Camaro T-56 transmission and I'm about to hook it up to my 350 that I've got in my 240. I went to my local Chevy dealership and they informed me that the stock slave cylinder only comes as a unit with the stock master cylinder for a nifty $150+. Does anyone know of an aftermarket resource for the slave cylinder? I also just read Mike's tech page regarding this swap and it looks great! Should save me a ton of time doing the actual swap. Any other tips that anyone has will be more than welcome.

This is one of those little rips offs that I hate when dealing with Chevy parts. Check your parts stores. I had the same problem (aftermarket T56 w/ T5 slave). After a litle research I found they finally make an all metal replacement slave for the T5. Way better quality than stock plastic. Maybe the stock replacement T56 slave is becoming availible too.

JS

Hunt aorund here - someone had managed to get the T5 metal one working with the T56 I thought. You might also try the junkyard to see if they've got one. There are at least a coupe of speciality junkyards out there for the Camaro stuff that ough tto have them. Check the back of the various mags.

Heh, this is why I made sure I got the slave with my trans. However if a good easy to do swap could be done with an all metal slave I'd be interested. Just don't want to have to do a ton of bracket trickery smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks John, I'll try to hunt down the metal cylinder.

quote:

Originally posted by John Scott:

This is one of those little rips offs that I hate when dealing with Chevy parts. Check your parts stores. I had the same problem (aftermarket T56 w/ T5 slave). After a litle research I found they finally make an all metal replacement slave for the T5. Way better quality than stock plastic. Maybe the stock replacement T56 slave is becoming availible too.

JS

Guest Anonymous

I'll dig through the threads!

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

Hunt aorund here - someone had managed to get the T5 metal one working with the T56 I thought. You might also try the junkyard to see if they've got one. There are at least a coupe of speciality junkyards out there for the Camaro stuff that ough tto have them. Check the back of the various mags.

Heh, this is why I made sure I got the slave with my trans. However if a good easy to do swap could be done with an all metal slave I'd be interested. Just don't want to have to do a ton of bracket trickery
smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey Davy, yes I live up the street from B'way VW in the Rockridge Area. I'll come by with the Z when I'm done with the transplant.

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

Bmison, you're in Oakland? I work at Broadway VW in new car sales. Come in and say hello sometime.

David

Guest Anonymous

I used the slave cylinder from an early 90's Blazer with a 5 speed per the advice of Mike at JTR-this cylinder has a metal base that must be modified slightly (the holes are spaced farther apart than the studs on the t56 bellhousing) and the holes must be redrilled or slotted, but this unit has a bleeder fitting and has worked fine for me for 5000 miles.The steel push rod must also be trimmed somewhat to obtain the proper length for the T56 clutch.

I remember this part being considerably less money than the stock T56 slave, but a good deal more work than just buying the stock part,cutting off the end of the braided hose at the master cylinder, and using a AN-3 hose end to adapt it to a steel line.

------------------

Tony

1972 240Z w/ZZ430/T56/GTO body kit

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Tony. FYI for everyone ... Mike(DAT74Z) informed me that Raybestos makes an aftermarket slave cylinder for the T-56 and aftere some internet surfing I found one on "partsamerica.com" for about $50. Which is a hell of a lot less than the $150 quoted me from my local Chevy Dealer. Has anyone else used partsamerica.com? It's pretty cool since it's part of the Checker/Shuck's/Kragen chain. You get lower prices than going directly to their brick and mortar stores and you can pick up the parts locally if they've got them in stock! Thanks again to Mike, BLKMGK, DavyZ, TonyM and John Scott for helping me out with this problem.

quote:

Originally posted by TonyM:

I used the slave cylinder from an early 90's Blazer with a 5 speed per the advice of Mike at JTR-this cylinder has a metal base that must be modified slightly (the holes are spaced farther apart than the studs on the t56 bellhousing) and the holes must be redrilled or slotted, but this unit has a bleeder fitting and has worked fine for me for 5000 miles.The steel push rod must also be trimmed somewhat to obtain the proper length for the T56 clutch.

I remember this part being considerably less money than the stock T56 slave, but a good deal more work than just buying the stock part,cutting off the end of the braided hose at the master cylinder, and using a AN-3 hose end to adapt it to a steel line.