HybridZ

Clutch problems.....

Arif

...I think. I have a stock 83 280z tranny with a Centerforce DF clutch. I was under my car on Friday and noticed one bolt missing from the passenger side engine mount and the engine was probably 1/4 to 1/2" from the mount. No biggy, looked in my misc bolts collection and found one that matched.

Now when I drive it the car feels like it is in too low of a gear from 1000-1750 rpms regardless of what gear I'm in. Sometimes it launches great and other times (usually when the engine is cold) it feels like it has no power.

The main reason I think it is the clutch is because the free play in the clutch pedal was over 1" vs. .1 to .4" as recommended per the Center Force DF instructions.

Does it sound like I need a new clutch or could it be something else?

------------------

http://communities.msn.com/TurboZ

I'm not sure how to respond here. If you have more pedal free play, it would indicate to me that the clutch has nothing to do with the power at launch. I say this, because with more free play, you then have less ability to disengage the clutch from the flywheel. If you had no free play at all, then I would say that maybe the clutch could be slipping causing the engine to "feel" strange. IMHO you have a separate problem other than clutch. If you can let out the clutch (without adding gas) and it stalls the engine, In general, again, in general, the clutch is most likely ok.

Terry

I think it is the clutch because when I get on the gas hard the revs increase but there is barely any acceleration. Also I'm not sure what else would cause the engine to feel like it is in too low of a gear when it is below 1750rpms. It feels like I'm starting out in 2nd gear from a dead stop, but it is happening in higher gears going down the road. Makes me want to take that engine mount bolt back out smile.gif

------------------

http://communities.msn.com/TurboZ

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a weak pressure plate. If you gas it in high gear and it picks up revs but the car doesn't accelerate likewise, then theres slipperage obviously. Usually the springs get weak and it just doesn't lock the engine and input shaft all the way like it should. Just a guess, mind you, but I think thats the problem.

Lone

If you have a helper; jack the car up in front....put jack stands in the appropriate positions.

While you slide under the car; watch the slave cylinder movement while your helper pushes in on the clutch pedal all the way.

If the hydraulic hardware of your clutch is working then the slave cylinder should be fully extended. Then if it is fully extended....you know it isnt your clutch pedeal, clutch master cylinder, clutch hydraulic line nor the slave cylinder. Having removed these items from the possible defective list will allow you to concentrate elsewhere; like the clutch assembly.

Maybe, you should just remove that bolt!

Kevin,