HybridZ

What's it worth? '71 240Z L28ET project

Guest saloZ

Guest saloZ

I am seriously considering selling my long-time 240z project that has been garaged for the past 10+ years. I don't have the time to devote to completing the project so I'm thinking to pass it on to someone else and buy another some day in the future...

I'll try to list what it has and what I can recall:

early '71 240z

'83 280ZX turbo engine and trans ~60,000 original miles

centerforce clutch

autometer gages

ZX turbo gold "snowflake" wheels

280zx seats (not my choice, previous owner)

R180 rear

front spoiler

Car came from Oregon after which the turbo engine was put it with the factory ECU and wiring. Ran this way for a while before I garage it for some upgrades/mods. Currently I have an early 280z intake manifold that is partially polished and a weber "big throat" throttle body that I was planning to install. I've removed the original intake, but still have it. I've sold off the EFI parts and purchased a full MegaSquirt & Spark system. I haven't installed this yet. I believe I have all or most of the parts to put this together and run again.

Car was originally green, but was painted a dark/dull red at some point. Has fiberglass front flared fenders. Body is very solid with some rust on the rear quarter panel wheel wells. A bit of rust on the frame rails, but otherwise very solid.

Any thoughts on what this is worth if I sell it as is? I'm tinkering with the idea of putting the intake on and hooking up the MegaSquirt before I sell it, but I just don't think I will have the time on my hands. :(

I also have some other body parts such as a whale tale, a more modest rear spoiler and a g-nose in the collection.

But if he gets it running he is definitely going to want to keep it!

I do agree though, the car will be worth significantly more in running condition.

What would you need to have it running and how confident are you in your abilities to get it that way?

Too bad you're in WI! I might have been interested in taking it off of your hands ;)

Guest saloZ

I'll need to work on the pictures, as the car is burried in my garage with a cover. I'll give it a shot.

To get it running, I would need to install the intake and associated intake plumbing to the turbo. Install the MegaSquirt system. I have all the wiring and sensors. What I don't have is time. I'm pretty sure I have everything else needed unless I find something minor missing while assembling.

No doubt it could be done, but would take a couple of days full dedication.

Guest saloZ

Here are some quick pictures. Tried to point out the major rust spots. The car is dirty and faded and full of misc parts :( Just touching it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling though...

240z1.jpg

240z2.jpg

240z3.jpg

240z4.jpg

240z5.jpg

240z6.jpg

240z7.jpg

240z8.jpg

240z9.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest saloZ

I have a couple of pictures. Send me an email and I will send them to you. Whale tails seem to run ~$300 new, so I'd take $100. Its fiberglass and in nice shape, a few scratches. Nothing if you plan to paint it anyhow.

By the way, if anyone is looking - I'd take $2500 for the whole car and EFI kit as-is.