HybridZ

R-200 install questions...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Once again I am hoping the wisdome of you all will bail me out. I am attempting to install a R-200 into a 73 240 Z. O bought a used R-200 with a mustache bar out of an 83 280 ZX. My questions..

1) Does the flat portion of the mustache bar go in front (towards the front of the car) of the bolts that hold it to the body or behind.

2) Does the mustache bar go in front of the 2 brackets that run vertically from the body to the lower control arm bracket or behind it.

3) When I put the diff up to the bar should it require tightening down to snug it against the bar. In other words will there be a gap betweeen the bar and the diff or will it be flush?

I am at a loss right now and could really use your help. Thank you in advance,

Peter

You've probably already figured it out by now, but yes, the mustache bar diff holes are forward of the centerline of the mustache bar mounting holes, and forward of the uprights. Also, the differential is solidly against the bar (no gap).

I recently finished this swap on my '72 240z. The R200 mustache bar fits behind(towards the rear of the car) the 2 brackets that run vertically from the body to the lower control arm bracket.

I had previously mounted my fuel pump to one

of the vertical brackets. I had to move the pump when I installed the R200.

There's a good picture of the rear suspension in the JTR manual that shows how the R200 is mounted.

Don

quote:

Originally posted by Drax240z:

I had heard that the zx moustache bars won't work and you needed a 280z one? Please someone tell me that is incorrect and you can use the zx one! Much easier to find.

I thought '79 and up had a trailing link suspension and didn't have a moustache bar at all. I know the '82 I pulled my R200 from didn't have a moustache bar and wasn't '79-'83 all the same, suspension wise?

Guest Anonymous

I've never seen a mustach bar in a 280zx-they used a rubber mount that bolts directly into the body reinforcement at the back of the rear end cover.-however, you can the R200 Z bars at Z Barn for a reasonable price.

------------------

Tony

1972 240Z w/ZZ430/T56/GTO body kit

I slotted and enlarged the holes in my '72+ moustache bar for my R200 install. Still hangin' in there after 5 years, 25,000 miles, and about 25 track days. Also had to slot the holes in the front diff mount, which was also welded up (made solid) to eliminate need for the strap.

Dan Baldwin

'71 240Z 3.1

COMSCC #7 SPB