HybridZ

motor mounts

bLaCkONbLaCk

i want to make my own motor mounts instead of using the z-31 mounts bc according to yall on here making your own mounts to set the motor back and down a bit makes for optimal handling. could someone please send me a picture so i can copy the motor mount.

http://uncutwelshman.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=602

assuming stock mounts and good insulators come with your motorset ... hang the engine into engine bay w/ the motor side mounts and insulators bolted on the engine, sit the engine as low as you want it (you have to lower it more forward than you will when you mount it because the stock motor mounts will interfere with the car side mounts). get the engine at the right height and positioned front rear so that the engine side mounts are touching the front of the car side mounts (overlapping might be the word). mark the height that the car side mount will be to put the engine at the correct height, and the angle of the cut that you need with a sharpie against (following the angle/height of) the bottom of the engine side mount insulator. pull the engine out. cut the car side mounts. cut and drill plates that bolt to the engine side insulators and stick forward some (you will get a good idea of this distance based on the distance that your engine was from the firewall when it was hanging in the bay). this will offset your engine back some. bolt the plates to the engine side insulators, and lower the engine into the car (with tranny attached). once it's positioned perfectly, tack the plates into place, unbolt them from the engine side, and pull the engine. you may be able to do this w/o dropping the engine in, but we used it as a final check for the location of the engine (and tranny shifter point) in the car. weld the plates to the cut car side mounts, then drop your engine in and bolt it up. you'll have to loosen the bolts on the car side when bolting it up for the last time and finagle it in because the bolts (the way mine worked) were at an angle, so the tip (highest point) was more toward the center of the car than the lowest point where the insulator actually sat, so if they were bolted in tight the tips of the bolts wouldnt line up with the holes of the insulator. i had to loosen all the bolts and line them all up and drop it into place, then tighten all the bolts down.

quick run thru, let me know if you have any questions.