HybridZ

Spacing exhaust manifold out with 1/2" steel flange

ShaggyZ

I have a need to move an exhaust manifold out a little bit and would like some input on using a 1/2" steel (or stainless) flange.

I intend to have a sandwich arrangement of two exhaust manifold gaskets :: manifold -> gasket -> flange -> gasket -> head.

Obviously, I'd need ~1/2" longer bolts/studs; but I'm curious about the different heat characteristics between the flange's steel and the cast iron manifold. I'm thinking as long as the manifold is torqued correctly, I shouldn't have any issues with warpage/leaking in the near future, but possibly eventually.

(This probably should belong in the exhaust forum, but it doesn't get visited much; also, this is fabrication :) )

Why do you need to move it out???????????????????????

x2.

Is this on an L-series?

If it is, I can see this becoming a problem with torquing down the intake manifold, since a few of the bolts are shared between the intake and exhaust manifolds.

If both manifolds were spaced out using the same spacer thickness I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

Another solution, albeit more difficult , would be to weld some standoffs to the intake manifold, to take up that difference in thickness.