HybridZ

MY "rebuilt" r-200 howls like a wolf. Why?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need you help again. I had a quaife installed in a r-200. The diff shop "set" the ring and pinion and replaced the carrier bearings. I installed it in my 73 240Z. The car has polyurethane bushings in the mustache bar and a stock rubber bushing up by the pinion flange (?). The diff works fine but when I deccelerate in gear it howls like crazy. The faster I am traveling the louder it gets. What is the deal? Did the diff shop set up the ring and pinion wrong? I sure like some advice before I take it back. Thanks to one and all,

Peter

i just put a 88 300zxt lsd into my 77 turboz and it howls loudly on accel-loudest in 4th on boost at about 4000 rpms.i swapped the pinion flange and torqued it to specs.the 3.54 r200 i took out had a noisy diffcarrier bearing-you could hear it and 20 mph coasting with engine off.the lsd has a little hum at steady freeway speeds.i dont really like the 3.7 gear as freeway speeds in my part of california are fast<75 to 85>.i am probably going to try to get some of those glacier bushings and new oem bearings from nissan dealer and build a 3.54 lsd.has anybody done a rebuild on a r200?i work on ford rear axles at work so i dont mind trying one out.the only problem right now is i have to listen to this thing for 600 miles going to motorsport show and back.

If I remember correctly (used to set up my 9" rear ends a lot) the coast side of the teeth will not neccessary be correct just because the drive side is. My guess is the backlash is excessive, BUT, if you tighten this up, then it may ruin the pattern already set for the drive side of the teeth, which really means re-setting up the rear again. I was extremely surprised at the small setting for backlash that the OEM R200 uses compared to the 9" set-ups I used to do. It really was hard to re-adjust my mind to feeling comfortable with these tight set-ups.

Terry

Guest harth

I just recently had all the bearings replaced in my R200, the ring and pinion was very tight and did not howl, my noise was from the bearings. When I got it back and put it in the car the ring and pinion began to roar and the bearing noise was gone. I asked the guy that rebuilt it about the noise, he said when he cleaned all the parts he glass beaded the ring and pinion to check for stress cracks, that gave the contact points a rough finish that would eventually polish itself and quite down. I've been driving it for a couple of weeks and it is getting better. Michael 280ZZ4