HybridZ

81zx and 83zx project.

BSD

Well, I officially rented out a garage today, 42' by 20'Tomorrow morning I am putting both Z's in and will be stripping them both down. *thumbs up*Hopefully by the end of the day I will have the 2+2 completely stripped and ready to be prepped for paint. fyi, I AM doing a rustoleum paint job, and I WILL be using a roller. I am very curious to how well it will come out, and will take plenty of pictures along the way.Besides that, I will post pictures of all the parts of the cars incase anybody needs something.

Well, due to my new work schedule, I was unable to strip the 2+2,I just had time to remove all the weatherstripping and bust some knuckles on rusted bolts.I did have time to dissassemble some of my 83zx and move some stuff in today, but besides that.. I got nothing.Pretty boring update.. I tried to upload some pics but my friends computer was being a pain in the ass. Now I have to hang some lights up tonight and maybe bring in a fridge tomorrow, haha.More to update my next day off work! Besides the fact I am going to order my megasquirt this week.

So here is a shot of my Z chilling in the driveway before teardown.

Photo0114.jpg

Had to take off that hideous rear window wiper, and removed the electric antenna as well. ( I hate the radio )

Photo0172.jpg

Bumperless pic

Photo0175.jpg

Another shot, but I am going to cut the bottom portion off and just get a fiberglass bumper. ( I don't care about safety! )

Photo0170.jpg

Here is a pic of my garage, which is a little empty, and further progress on the Z

Photo0324.jpg

And here is also a pic of my non egr mani I purchased from BRAAP, I did all the grinding myself, and plugged some vacuum ports, but it still needs work, its coming along pretty nicely though.

Photo0284.jpg

I am hoping by the end of next week my MSD and Megasquirt will be here, and all the paint will be stripped off the Z, minus the bottom of the car.. from there on.. bodywork!

Hopefully I will have some more pics later, but thats all for now.

As of now, current performance upgrades are.

82-83 Turbo distributor with MSD and MS 1 V3.0

Tokico struts and springs all around with polyurethane bushings.

Swapping from auto to manual after the car is repainted, and will find out for sure if the auto driveshaft will work or not.

Till then, the boring updates will continue!

New update!

Also, I don't know how familiar some of you are with POR products or not, but I never tried using POR Metal Ready before..

I purchased some and thought i'd give it a shot...

What it does is eat the rust off of metal and prepare it to be POR'd.. which is awesome, and makes a better base for POR to cure to.

The problem...

NEVER let METAL READY SIT ON YOUR CAR OVER NIGHT!

If you do use it, make sure it sits for about 10-30 mintues and clean it with water, Quickly drying what you cleaned with a towel or lintless cloth... Reason? It will flash rust like a ***********x10

I found out the hard way, but fortunately for me, I was able to just sand it out and redo it.. :mrgreen:

Besides that, the stuff works amazing, and you can even dip small rusted parts into the solution and it comes out clean, clean, clean!

Not much to say for now, more updates later!

• 4 weeks later...

Updaaate.

After being busy and stuff, I haven't really updated.. also the lack of internet plays a role.

So here is some pictures of whats up, and also was getting ready to take the engine out, I will have another update soon.

CIMG0045.jpg

CIMG0044.jpg

Got the engine out 2 days ago, will post a video later!

CIMG0059.jpg

Also got a turbo engine that was rebuilt, so things look promising!

Hopefully I can get the car blasted and then start on the body work. :)

UPDATE!

I officially removed the engine out of the Z, well... I posted that already, but here is a vid!

Hopefully sometime this week I can get my sway bars and some other misc small parts sand blasted, and I will paint them with POR15. *thumbs up*

Tomorrow I will be removing the gas tank and rear end of the car...

Then the car will be offically just a frame. :)

More to come!

No pictures or videos at the moment, sorry guys.. I forgot my camera at my friends, I just need to get it back.. haha.

I removed Everything else off the car, so it is Completely stripped... Next thing to do is some body work, sandblasting.. then POR..

I might order my paint/primer/etc this week, I decided to ditch using Rustoleum on the Z, but I WILL be doing my jetta with it.

I am just going to paint the Z black.. and do the interior with some dark red trim..

Anywhoot, I will have pictures and videos soon, pizza time!

cheers

As promised, video footage, and some pictures.. aka.. like 2

Side view of the beast stripped.

CIMG0108.jpg

The pooper of the Z

CIMG0110.jpg

Side angle shot!

CIMG0111.jpg

Cut out a piece to patch, need to cut out some more though.

CIMG0112.jpg

Another shot of the hole.

CIMG0113.jpg

Some misc. stuff to get sand blasted... I might buy a sand blaster from a local hardware store.. its $142.. *shrug*

CIMG0109.jpg

Besides that, I went ahead and purchased 100lb of silica sand.. so i'm getting closer!

More to come...

• 1 month later...

I know it has been forever since I last posted.. been busy and stuff..

Anywhoot! This tuesday i'm going in to get the Z sandblasted and painted..

Luckily a friend of mine found a guy to do it for me for a nice price.

The car is going to be black.. ( its getting panel painted.. since I haven't finished my fiberglass parts yet ) so I don't want to have mix-matched paint.. I'll have a red tint thrown in later when all my parts are done.

Anyways... all my goals remain the same.

I should have a bunch of pictures up soon, maybe some videos.. then..

Megasquirt!

Cheers!