HybridZ

Upgraded Suspension, Now got vibration!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just finished up with a suspension upgrade over the weekend consisting of Tokico Struts and Springs, Energy Suspensions urethane kit, and S/T sway bars. I have been gradually getting a vibration through the drive train under acceleration. The car dropped a little over an inch. Is it possible that the half shaft U-Joints are going due to the change in angle? I can't think what else it would be.

Thanks for the help!

Ct..

It would seem that the joints would be a good start. It may also be a driveshaft joint that coincidentally may be going bad too. I also wonder if the stiffer urethane parts now on the car are making a previously existing problem more obvious, now that any vibrations are transfered more easily to the seat.

Guest Rick Johnson

Chris,

I dont understand why the u-joint was OK before you lowered the vehicle and then caused vibration after you lowered it. What play are you talking about?

I have a similar accelleration vibration but my u-joints seem to be OK. I have decided to try the CV 1/2 shaft upgrade and hope my acc vibration is minimized.

Rick, lowering the car can change driveline angles. Mustang guys have found out about the the hard way when they get crazy like that. Adjustable upper arms work for them - we've not got it quite so easy with the Z though. We've got to cut bushings and tinker more. Check your driveline angles - that may be your issue and others like Pete have got some good advice about it. Me, I'm hoping I don't have any problems to solve - fingers crossed.

Hrm, pondering thismore... We've not got a live axle like the Mustangs. Lowering it shouldn't change the angles should it? Chris, was this a driveshaft U-joint or one of the joints going to the halfshafts? The latter I could understand changing with the lowering...

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited March 30, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

You nailed it. It was a rear U-Joint that couldn't survive the lack of play in the rest of the rear end. I replaced it with a more beefy unit. I guess it's a wait and see to understand if this causes other issues. Sure does handle nicely now.

Time to go play.

Ct..

Guest Anonymous

This was the rear driveshaft ujoint. There was only a change in angle for the half shafts. I talked to one of my buddies who is a mechanic on Vettes to see if that would be a problem. He indicated that it shouldn't be.

I think what happened is that the U-Joint was on its way out, but the suspension play that was there could have been absorbing the shock that travels through the system. It could also be that there was nothing wrong, but that the lack of play throught the rear was such that it simply took it out that way.

I am not fully convinced that there isn't more too this. I'll keep you posted as to what I find.

Ct..

[This message has been edited by ChrisT (edited April 01, 2001).]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Thurem

You probably changed the moustasche bar mounts if you got the energysuspension kit, that could change around the angles on your driveline, and cause a halfway bad ujoint to start vibrating. I know cause something similar happened when I had the motor and tranny mounts changed on my BMW (basically the same setup), the driveshaft started vibrating like a mother.....r.

Thure