HybridZ

200-R4 vs 700-r4

383 240z

I have to build a new trans for my z I am running a 383 with a 3.08 posi diff from an 82 vette and have 26" tall tires I work in a trans shop and have been assured by our head builder that we can build a unit that will handle all the torque I can throw at it. I ask of the forum if you had it all to do again what trans would you build and run ??

------------------

rx7260z@yahoo.com

Speed Power Performance& Style. What else is there?

Anything can be built the way you want it if you got the money. If you had the choice to begin with I'ld personally rather go w/the 700.

To me; its like the difference between a small block & a big block; sure you can build a performance small block to match the performance of a big block; however-the big block is still going to be able to do it easier w/less stress-its beefier & has heavier duty parts as a result.

The 700 is a larger trans & was intended to handle the higher stresses; doesnt mean you cant get the same performance from a pro-built 200; but, if you got the choice-go w/the trans that is stronger to begin with & build around that.

Just my .02c's worth.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Well if you work in a trans shop and therefore have such easy support in case their reassurance falters the only issue IMO is what gear ratios are preferred. I found this in a table I have archived but for some reason I recall 1st in a 200R4 is 2.96 or similar/maybe they have a few 1st gear options.....

TH-700R4 (1991 Chevrolet)

3.06, 1.63, 1.00, 0.70 rev-2.29

200-4R (Grand National transmission)

2.74, 1.57, 1.00, 0.674

The 3.06/1.63 700 1-2 is a big drop and the 1st gear is next to useless IMO (I run a 700) being so steep. I'd love that 2.74 1st gear and the OD of .674 doesn't hurt. But I'd pick it strictly on that 1st/2nd benefit(47% vs. 43% drop in gearing and preferred 1st). Even mild driving it just rolls in 1st and drops in 2nd v. fast and if I'm truly looking to smoke off a light I usually just pull to 3 or 3500 rpm and drop to 2nd for a nice sweet long (as long as anything is in a V8Z)2nd. Only true perceived threats (ie. a GN/Z06/blow stang) has me looking to pull clean thru 1st. That's how I drove with my 'mild' 327 and my livelier 350 now. Your stump-pulling 383 would be even more so and in a lighter Z (my ZX is 2900 full gas etc) it would be exacerbated.

http://users.vei.net/pscalc/trans.htm

just found a 2nd site to confirm above ratios

good luck and keep us updated on your build with pics as well smile.gif

PS are you running a DANA 36 or 44? and how did you build your halfshafts? are they telescoping or fixed length? I had an alum. dana 36 for a bit till someone else actually had plans so put it to use smile.gif

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

[This message has been edited by Ross C (edited April 20, 2001).]

I'm running a Dana 44 modified I've yet to fit it to the car but I have a plan just waiting to get it back from the chassis builder!!!!! The half shafts have yet to be built but they will be comprised of a floating tripod with a datsun outer end and gm inner. they are most likley be built by denny's drive shaft or currie enterprises. I'll try to post som pics as soon as I learn how (I can spin a wrench but not much else).

------------------

rx7260z@yahoo.com

Speed Power Performance& Style. What else is there?

The 200R does have better ratios but with the torque you should have, the tall tires and only a 3.08 diff, I am not sure the trans gear ratios will make that big a difference. The 700R is reputed to be stronger but there are lots of GNs out there with 500+lb/ft of torque running them hard with t-brakes.

If I had to make your choice, I would go with the 200R.

BTW, if you are drag racing, I assume the 26" tall tires are slicks are at least DRs.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

A guy I knew had a s10 with a built 350(400?hp) ala JTR spool and 3.70? gears I know this wasn't a Datsun but the jump from 1-2 was very noticable it took him way out of the power band of the engine.

BTW Pop. Hot Rodding JUNE 01 has agood article on a 200r4 by Yank converter (just going to look at this site) www.converter.cc

that holds up to 850lb/ft!!!

I would go with the 200r4 for

1 the weight

2 the 1/2 gear ratios

3 the better OD ratio.

but I would also bullit proof the tranny espically in any drag racing application.

my .02 $

also georga Z club "the beast" I think has a similar set up for the corvette rear end as you have .I hope it works for you I am very interested in using a corvette rear end please take lots of pics!!!

icon_smile.gif

Guest Drewz
icon_smile.gif I am running a 200 in my z with more than a few ponies and it is a crisp even shift that doesn't take me too far down in the rpm's when shifting. The 200 is fine but I am leaning towards the 700 since building a 200 to be as strong is more expensive. Since parts and labor would be inexpensiv4e for ya I would suggest a stout 200. IMO! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

I am running the 200 in my 55 cevy and my 83 280ZX. Both are chevy powered.

I started with the 7004R/4L60 however soon got tired of the short 1st gear.

The Z has a lightly modified 200r4 due to the weight of the Z. The 55 chevy is heavily modified again due to the weight of the chevy and the torque of the 406 sb.

The 200 is capable of 800 H.P. and 850 ft lbs of torque. There is an article in the latest issue of Popular Hot Rodding that illustrates this 800 H.P. trans.

The trans in the Z cost me about $450.00 to build while the 55 chevy trans ran about $900.00.

The 700 is restricted by design to about 5-600 H.P. The design uses two sets of planet gears and no support between the shafting. The 200 uses three sets of planets and has a center support which helps the units stability. The 200 input shaft and drum problems were resolved several years ago . There are Buick Gran Nationals running in the 9's with very few problems.

The key to a great 200 is in the build up cycle. You have to pay attention to details.

The 200 would get my vote, the gear ratio's, size, weight and durabilty are more attractive than the 700.