HybridZ

weird clacking rattling engine noise

Hey experts!

I'm pretty new to the Domestic scene, so I wasn't sure what to make of this engine noise I have going on. I just bought this last week with the v8 swap so I don't know the history of the engine. I'm honestly pretty worried about this sound, and I'm not afraid to go tearing into the engine to fix it, but this is my daily driver so keeping it on the road is important. Here's a video of the sound (you only hear the clacking after it revs).

Location-wise, it sounds like it's coming from the intake manifold or just underneath. It could be in the heads, but it sounds more centralized. Any ideas would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

*edit* I totally forgot to link to the video. This should help a bit:

It sounds good in the video, I don't hear the noise. If it's coming from the center I would say it's a lifter noise. Do you know if you have a hydraulic or mechanical cam? If mechanical you may need to adjust the valves, with hydraulic you could try tightening the rockers another 1/4 turn.

I agree with Mike, valves could be a possibility. If adjusting them doesn't help, look & listen to all the stuff on the front of the motor, water pump, alternator, timing chain, etc. Check for any loose sparkplugs also, they can make a weird noise.

jt

Responses greatly appreciated! I won't have a chance to check on these today, but possibly tonight.

It sounds good in the video, I don't hear the noise. If it's coming from the center I would say it's a lifter noise. Do you know if you have a hydraulic or mechanical cam? If mechanical you may need to adjust the valves, with hydraulic you could try tightening the rockers another 1/4 turn.

The rattle is only after revving, while it's coming back down to idle. I was told this motor is a 327 from '64, but I really have no idea how to verify that. The only number on the block didn't seem to make any sense on the Chevy Identification sites I visited.

I agree with Mike, valves could be a possibility. If adjusting them doesn't help, look & listen to all the stuff on the front of the motor, water pump, alternator, timing chain, etc. Check for any loose sparkplugs also, they can make a weird noise.

jt

I'll check the spark plugs this morning, before I leave.

So far, it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side valve cover, or possibly the exhaust manifold. The valve cover has funky t-topped rods holding it on, so I can't use a torque wrench. How tight should they (realistically) be? Anything I should be looking for if/when I take them off?

283's are cool, nothing wrong with that.

The T bolts on the valve covers should be about as tight as you can turn them with your hands, say 10 or 15 ft-#. They make it easy to pull a valve cover, but they are mostly for looks. Overtightening them can cause leaks.

Does it have a hydraulic or solid cam?

jt

283's are cool, nothing wrong with that.

The T bolts on the valve covers should be about as tight as you can turn them with your hands, say 10 or 15 ft-#. They make it easy to pull a valve cover, but they are mostly for looks. Overtightening them can cause leaks.

Does it have a hydraulic or solid cam?

jt

I'll tweak them down a little more when I get back from work then, they're a bit wobbly.

I looked around briefly online to see how to tell what kind of cam I have. All I know is that I have camel-hump heads... so, if possible, could I get specifics? Pretty please?

Did you buy the car like that with the V8 in it? Who did you get it from?

um... a guy on Craigslist who didn't do the swap...

no good info available. And yes, I bought it as you see it. I've fixed a bunch of wiring, and plan to get the passenger's seatbelt to retract and get the alternator wired up (right now my alternator is a battery charger that plugs into the wall).

my dads 66 has a 283 with 400k on it.

I hear the rattle when you let off the throttle. it sounds like something tapping like something shifting to hit things. never heard that sort of sound before though.

I'm going to check my fluids. I used to get the same TYPE of sound (valve knockish sound) but my quieter when my Hondas were low on oil. I'll keep you all posted.

You can change the timing chain, but it's a fairly big job.

Before you start changing parts, you need to find the problem. Go over the entire enigine and trans and make sure everything is hooked up and tight. In particular check the water pump and alternator. Take the fan belt off and crank the motor, see if the noise is there without the water pump and alternator turning. Don't let it run over a minute with the water pump not turning. Pull the valve covers and check out the rockers.

Try to diagnose the problem without throwing parts at it. You'll learn a lot, save money, and get to know your car better.

jt