HybridZ

2004R TRANSMISSION

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE 2004R TRANS IN STEAD OF A 700R4/4L60E WITH A CHEVY CONVERSION. I HAVE AN 83 ZX WITH A 331 CU.IN. CHEVY WITH THE 200R4 AND IT REALLY DOES A NICE JOB. THE RATIO'S ARE CLOSER THAN THE 700/4L60E AND THE 200 REQUIRES LESS POWER TO DRIVE THAN THE 700. THE 200 IS SMALLER AND LIGHTER. I HAVE MODIFIED THE TRANS TO IMPROVE CLUTCH AND HARD PARTS LIFE BUT THESE IMPROVEMENTS ARE NOT THAT EXPENSIVE. THE STOCK SHIFTER WAS USED WITH A LITTLE MODIFICATION, HOWEVER FROM THE INSIDE OF THE CAR EVERYTHING LOOKS STOCK.

Guest Anonymous

I would also like to here from anyone useing this trans! I like how a th350 is so responsive, I've heard that the 700r4 are not near as responsive? So is a 2004r simular to the th350? Does it downshift on the fly well?

Guest Anonymous

The 2004r can be built to perform very much like the 350. Shifts can be very firm if desired. The advantage is the overdrive. The converter lockup can be controlled hydraulically or by an external switch or a computer. The shifting can be made so you can hold a gear until you shift to the next gear or leave the lever in D and the trans will run through the gears automatically. I have this trans in my 83 280zx and a 55 chevy which runs a 406 cu. in. small block. The 406 was dyno'd at 485 h.p. pushing a 3800 lb. 55 chevy. The point is the trans has survived very well in both vehicles. The 55 chevy trans is built very different from the zx trans. The 55 has a number of modifications due to the performance requirements and the vehicle weight.

Hope this helps. The 200 is a trans that most folks overlook, so there are a lot of them around and they are cheap to buy and build, not as cheap as a 350 build but not that much more.

Guest Anonymous

I've looked on the net for information on these tranies and found ALOT of good being said about them! Matter of fact I will be useing a 200R4 on my car! I've made up my mind, but who sells the needed goodies to make the tranny handle say 500 HP? I see that TCI and Art Carr have some parts and kits. Any recomendations? Also Don What did you have done to your tranny, buy who and what brand? Cost?

Thanks Don, I was going to go with a TH350 because I've heard so many driveabilty problems with the 7004R but now after researching I found the tranny for me!

I am running the 200 right now but have a 700 in the wings waiting for the thumbs up. The 200 has a very tight feel but the only big diff. is the gears from the old 350/400 transmissions. I drove the hell out of the 200r and have no problems as of now BUT..... I am not running slicks or road coursing it as of now so all the bagging I have done was short term.Jus' my opinion!

A good source for parts and information is from the Buick turbo forums. The 200R4 was standard in the Buick Turbo cars and there are folks running some serious HP in those Buicks. The 200R4 in the Buick Turbos were also more heavy duty (do not know the specifics) than other 200R4 applications. If you are in the market for a torque converter in the 2500RPM range, thats standard in the Turbos and a dime a dozen.

Go to the Buick forums and check out their transmission sections:

http://www.turbobuick.com http://www.turbobuicks.com http://www.gnttype.org/

My keyboard did not stutter biggrin.gif. Go to the Technical section of the last URL and there is enough information to make your head hurt.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

Two advantages I've heard of for the 200 tranny is it has less HP loss (just like the difference between a th350 and 400) and its first gear is a little less deep making it a bit more usable. (I.E. not as low and not spinning the tires quite as easily due to mechanical advantage). In a light car like the Z its probably a good choice of the available auto trannys. (if the powerglide had a overdrive it would be the ideal tranny for drag racing/street cruising, it could be done I believe using a Gear vendors overdrive, but Hella expensive that way).

Lone

Guest Anonymous

The 2004r I am running in the 55 has a modified input shaft and drum. The entire trans has torrington bearings instead of the normal thrust washers. The direct drive drum is modified for additional clutches as is the overdrive clutch pack. There are additional mods to the case,center support and direct drum. The valve body is heavily modified. The trans in the 280zx has most of the above mods except for the input shaft and drum which are stock. I have chosen softer shifts on this trans as I am concerned about the half shafts breaking. Owning a trans shop is a big advantage, however the mods in the 280zx are not that expensive, I use a little from Art Carr, Trans-Go and other sources that are available to you. If you want a detailed list of the normal mods for the 2004r I can supply them to you. I am sure there is a trans shop near you that can build you a tough 2004r trans at a reasonable price. The trans in the 55 would run about $1500.00 to duplicate.

quote:

Originally posted by Sundance:

I've looked on the net for information on these tranies and found ALOT of good being said about them! Matter of fact I will be useing a 200R4 on my car! I've made up my mind, but who sells the needed goodies to make the tranny handle say 500 HP? I see that TCI and Art Carr have some parts and kits. Any recomendations? Also Don What did you have done to your tranny, buy who and what brand? Cost?

Thanks Don, I was going to go with a TH350 because I've heard so many driveabilty problems with the 7004R but now after researching I found the tranny for me!

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I like the idea of the 200R4 and I am trying to learn more about it. What I want to know is:

do you use the same flex plate as the 700R4?

what kind of starter do I have to buy?

what type of mount does it have in relationship to the other GM trans'?

Jake

AZ 240Z