HybridZ

Hey Aux, now I'M stick'n it to the man!

Z-TARD

nice gun. I use a butchered SMLE .303 made in 1940 from the indian Ishapore armoury. Groups crap, but kills the animals it's shot at.

I've got a couple old Enfields too. I like shooting them even more than semi auto stuff like my "Not an AR-10". Some of the best rifles ever made IMHO, and yes, things shot with a 303 tend to stay shot :)

Some of the best rifles ever made IMHO, and yes, things shot with a 303 tend to stay shot :)

Effing A man! :D

Last things shot were a pair of hares, the .22 wasn't hitting so gave up and reckoned it must have had the scope bumped off true (cheap rings), so pulled the .303 and a magazine of 174gr Hornady RN SP rounds out of the truck. one hare was knocked 2 feet sideways, and the other had the entire contents of it's chest, plus 3" of the spine decorating the grass in front of it as it ran away from me :icon54: All I had to empty was the abdomen, the chest was already done ;)

What's the most accurate pill that rifle spits? twist rate?

Most .308 shooters seem to prefer 140gr or 150gr, I like to have a heavier round and accept it's going slower in consequence.

Nice thing about the .303 is it will take any pill made for the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R (.311 dia), and will manage a number of .32 special (.312 dia) pistol rounds as well.

A 89gr hollow point .312 doing over 3000fps makes a mess of vermin :D

What's the most accurate pill that rifle spits? twist rate?

Most .308 shooters seem to prefer 140gr or 150gr, I like to have a heavier round and accept it's going slower in consequence.

Nice thing about the .303 is it will take any pill made for the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R (.311 dia), and will manage a number of .32 special (.312 dia) pistol rounds as well.

A 89gr hollow point .312 doing over 3000fps makes a mess of vermin :D

The lighter stuff I ran through it was all military surplus 147gr. Groups looked like a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot, bullets everywhere :) The barrel is a 1-10" twist rate, so it likes the heavier rounds. 168's shoot pretty well out of it, better than the surplus stuff anyway. I might try some of the NATO 175gr long range rounds to see how it likes them. I'll keep upping the bullet weight until I find one that works the best, but eventually I'll run out of room in the magazine for some of the longer bullets designed for long range work.

I've been shooting Wolf Gold 174gr FMJBT out of the Enfields. They all seem to like it pretty well. Last time I took out the No. 4 Mk1 (T) clone, I was shooting at a 30" rock on the hillside over 800 yards away and getting consistent hits. Eventually I'll have to start reloading, as it is getting harder and harder to find ammo to feed the Enfields.

I use the 174gr RN SP myself, in front of 38gr of Nobels rifle no 1 powder. 174 and 180 are good weights for the 1:10 twist which the enfields also use.

Depending on the powder, you can seat your bullets well back in the case by using a less bulky powder.

I've heard of one guy using 215gr Woodleigh .312 bullets in a 7.62x39 chambered, short barrel rifle using a 7.62x54R twist rate. their was so little space available in the magazine the lip of the case mouth had a gap between the brass and the bullet side. He was using a fast ball powder that took up little room in the case.

weird, but it worked, needs a strong action tho.