HybridZ

"new" L26

skib

hey guys,

the L24 in my 73 is coming up on 200k and its starting to burn oil. i did a compression test and all that and figured on the valves. the local datsun shop quoted me somthing like $800 so i found an L26 with 5k on a rebuild, has round top SU's and a trans. im not sure if its a 4spd or not but im assumeing its stock. all for $200.

im just wondering what i should detail, replace ect. before i drop it in and if ill have any problems with my current trans. its a 280ZX 5 speed. i plan on replacing the cam cover gasket since ill be putting my polished one on along with the exhaust gasket. i also plan on replacing the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, vac. lines and any hoses that are looking worn. i also plan on cleaning the bay and giving it a shot of paint.

should it be unreasonable to think i can get this done in a weekend with some help from a friend or two?

sounds about right.. the paint might be a tad ambitious though. Try pulling the engine with your buddys' help friday night, and see if you can't get the painting all done with by saturday morning, then spend the rest of saturday working on the engine to be installed (gaskets, tune up, etc) That leaves sunday for the drop in and button up, and replace any hoses that weren't convenient to do on the stand.

When you start with a running car, and an engine/trans combo ready to drop into the vehicle, an engine swap on an S30 takes 2-3 hours for an experienced pair of workers. The best advice I can think of is to get ahold of a clutch alignment tool so that you don't screw up and let the clutch disc slip out of alignment on the L26; this might be the sort of PITA thing to happen on Sunday that would prevent you from driving it before sunset.