HybridZ

tranny questions - newbie? :\

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok, i have been wondering this since i bought my z..here goes

the dude had a maxima tranny in it, its a 240 with a 280 engine kind of modified for auto-x. anyway my question is, will a better tranny make it any faster? cause if i am at 5k rpms in 2nd gear, shift to 3rd i am at like 4k....is that good it seems like i do nothing but go form 2nd right ot 5th? my first gear hits readline so damn fast, it almost seems pointless. so by getting a tranny with better ratios or somethin ... woudl that help me? also will a 300zx (z32) tranny fit up to it? thanks,

mike

This tranny you have sounds like a very close ratio tranny. I can't recall what the gears ratios for the Maxima are though. Anyway, this close ratio is probably why the previous owner had it in the car if he was autocrossing. Ideally, close ratio transmissions are "faster" than wide ratio because you can stay in the peak torque range longer. So IMHO I would say a wider ratio will be slower. I don't know if the Z32 trans will fit up (I don't think it will being the blocks are different).

Terry

Are you SURE its a maxima trans? Well, honestly the gearing could be pretty cool if you had a taller rearend do you have like a 390 now or what? If so maybe something like a 336 is in order.

MY favorite tranny combo is most definitely a 280zx naturally aspirated trans, witha 390 rearend. Perfect balance of go/cruise rpms.

Z32 trans wont fit icon_sad.gif

Good luck :-D

Guest Anonymous

hehe, well um..whats a rearend number? icon_smile.gif

i think this tranny is breaking anyway, its really stupid i put it in gear and it pops back out, so.....i dunno wtf is goin on, ill remebr that tho..280zx tranny with that rear end thinger icon_smile.gif