HybridZ

300zx cv axel in a 72 240z

motorsci

For me both axles are a bit to long. I grinded down both stub axles about an eighth of an inch and that fixed the driver side, but the passenger side is still a bit to long. I don't notice it except on moderately hard left hand turns while accelerating, then you feel a small bump. There's not much room on the wheel side of the CV to grind that much without running into the snap ring groove, maybe another eighth if that.

As a side note I had to remove both end caps off the CV's as well. Does everybody run that end cap? It gave me another eighth inch (3mm) of travel.

I am going back to the shop and double check the legnth of the shafts , getz : my axles fit axactly the same way in the diff ,my question is ,what if i grind the spline end just about the amount that is sticking out ? do you think this will fix the problem, I dont want to ruin the axles .

FREDDYRENATO, not sure if it will fix my problem or not. For me, it's worth a try.

I'm not so worried about the axles. One of the guys lost a gear set and an LSD, that is much more expensive. I'm not sure you can even get power brutes anymore. If there is binding it should be easy enough to put you hand on the diff and feel if is getting hot. If you can do that while you're driving without getting killed I would be really impressed.

i do not understand all the problems , i put a R200 diff in my 240z turbo and used the 300 zx axels without any problems , i think some people are using the wrong axels , in europe all 300zx have the (v)lsd diff axels standard.

in the usa they are using different axels perhaps this is the problem

in europe all 300zx have the (v)lsd diff axels standard

Not sure if this is possible. I think the VLSD shafts require a longer input stub that physically won't click into a powerbrute or an open carrier. I could be wrong though. I think the issue definitely stems from different axles though...

i do not understand all the problems , i put a R200 diff in my 240z turbo and used the 300 zx axels without any problems , i think some people are using the wrong axels , in europe all 300zx have the (v)lsd diff axels standard.

in the usa they are using different axels perhaps this is the problem

I don't think anybody understands all the problems, thats why we write into the forum. There are also previous threads with measurements of axles and so far I do not know the exact reason why some people have problems and other don't.

As far as I can tell, the problem is on 240zs, it seems 72 and earlier have the problem. Also after market LSD units may also be a shade wider then the stock units. The r200 I am running is out of an 88 300zx. Perhaps we should start another thread of people listing there combination of parts, year, etc, from stub axle, year of 300zxt CV, spacer distance (or maybe year), control arm, year and make of r200. Just by looking at pictures of other peoples setup I would guess the 300zxt CV are already close to their farthest compression. Look at how squashed up the boots are.