HybridZ

stiff Holset internal wastegate linkage

Hi, Anybody experienced this? Dumped half a can of penetrating oil on it with some results, but still it is resistant. Without going to an external,what are the options? Bump off the external bracket with a torch or grinder and kick the shaft back, relieve the shaft to allow clearance? Any ideas?

Guest 280ZForce

perfect excuse to weld that b*tch up and make it an external w/g setup now!

Don't even mess with that internal pos, I welded mine up from the get go.

280Zforce, did you use the standard exhaust manifold or a customs one? there isn't much room between the turbo and the inner fender even without an external wastegate fitted. Doyou have any photo's of your setup?

Guest 280ZForce
280Zforce, did you use the standard exhaust manifold or a customs one? there isn't much room between the turbo and the inner fender even without an external wastegate fitted. Doyou have any photo's of your setup?

I used an external w/g on both stock turbo exhaust manifold and also the GReddy one I'm using now.

Here's how I had the w/g setup on the stock exhaust manifold...

3.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

I've since grinded off the old internal w/g mounts/brackets better and smoothed out the housing as well where it stuck out to mount...

IMG_2183a.jpg

Shows the welded shut internal w/g valve... they do make plates to fit these and make it cleaner, but whatever, it's inside and doesn't hurt anything.

IMG_2187a.jpg

I'll get pics of the new setup soon.

Hey, nice job guys! However, I think I will still go for the internal. Others have gone to 20 with this setup( the Dothian `Bama dude Gearheadstik for example)..cost being somewhat of a push and compactness.. The only question is how to relieve the stiffness. Soo..I think I will grind off the bracket,straighten the shaft -thanks Datman!-reweld and proceed. Am only going to 12psi max--265cc injectors at this point. Hell, 260hp is good to Me after maybe 140 (real) with My 76 2+2. And that was awesome after changing over from a 289 Mustang(My exwife got it same year). Not trying to kill Hondas, but based on what I`ve seen around town I could.

Guest 280ZForce
I am only going to 12psi max--265cc injectors at this point.

Ok 1 question, not bashing you or anything, just curious... why even run the holset if you are only going to 12 psi?

the holset doesn't even really start breathing well until around 15+ psi.

So..How do You think about the porting thing? I think its overdone, based on visual inspection. There isn`t much area between the puck and the port to remove. Getting away from your total interest in exterior wastegates, what do You think?

Datman, What is the difference between the puck diameter and the opening? Your visuals are different than Mine. I have a 2mm seat. That`s why I was asking the question. Maybe, Mine has been done already?!?! unlikely..but. I mean 2 mm is pretty small! That`s why I was concerned about this. Thanks for Your help. Roger

On futher reflection.. I think Mine has been "done" already. It`s in good shape... 95K with no play. I`ll consider Myself lucky...as long as I can get the shaft out!! And it`s getting close. An 8 # hammer ought to do it!! Thanks again, Roger

The 8# hammer worked! Had to cut off a nail set to the quick to do it--the proper punch! Turned out it was rust build up. A little clean up with emory cloth and WD 40 did the trick. Then,I did a JB weld on the bracket. Apparently, a lot of the confusion ( on My part) is due to the existence of several different models of the hw35y. The early ones are non vband exhaust models( Mine is an 02) and the later V band models. The early ones didn`t have shrouding around the wastegate..and the later ones did?

There was no shrouding on the the gate...SO...We have a difference between the hw35y, hx35w and the he351cw. Anybody, please respond. I have nothing to remove!! (Just go to the t3 actuater dual imput.. in My case) and get on with it. It would help others if this is resolved. Anybody else have a reflection on the differences between the 3 units? Again, there is little difference between the puck and the hole--2mm. Thanks,Roger...no BIG deal, but just wondering.