HybridZ

Is differential a r180 or a r200? How can I tell

72zcar

ok, I have two rear ends in the garage. One I know is a r180 the other I'm not sure. The second one does not have a mustache mount. Instead it has a large square rubber and steel mount in the center, no mustache mount. Does this mean it is a r200. Or am I way off, haha

On a second note: all the wrecking yards around here want 400+ for a 700r4 tranny. Is this about right? Still thinking about going with the th350 i already have. I know I would be an idio but hey... i already have the th350.

The mustache bar is the rear mounting bar--long and mounts to the studs sticking out from the aluminum rear diff cover. If you are swapping an R200 in to where you had the R180, you'll need the mustache bar for the R200. They are slightly different and are not easily interchangable. The JTR manual has picture comparisons between them.

Using the 350 Tranny is not ideal, but you gotta do what you gotta do. If the 700R4 is way out of your budget, use the tranny yoiu have. Just remember about the low gearing. You could just use that tranny for now and save up for an 700R4 later. $400 sounds about right for a 700R4. T5's are more!!! Figure that this conversion will cost you much more than you originally had intended on spending, but will be worth it in the end.

David