HybridZ

How do you Install a Ford nine inch rear end

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is there any information out there about installing a Ford nine inch in a 280z. I heard there was a Hot Rod article showing how to do it. But I have not found it yet. Any help that anyone can give would be great. Thanks

I have thought about this also but the nine inch a heavy rear end. I have heard that they are comparativy hard to turn.

The one I would choose would be the 8.8. Strong enough for such a light car and they can be found with disc brakes. Lots of strong mustangs are running 8.8's.

Just a thought icon_razz.gif

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info on 8.8 rear ends. I will look into that. But I have not had much luck with finding out how to put in a different rear end. Thanks

Guest JAMIE T

Installing a solid rear axle will require a custom rear supension. That may be a Ladder bar, 4 link, or a custom road race job like a 5 link or something. I would recommend locating a local chassis builder to get some ideas. Some books are also available on the subject. Basically you will be "Back Halving" the car.

Jamie

Deathstar

JamieT, installing a solid rear does not necessarily mean the car has to be back-halved. I intend to simply replace the IRS with solid rear without tubbing or changing anything behind the diff.

I hope I am not dreaming.

[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: Scottie-GNZ ]

Guest Anonymous

I don't think your dreaming Scottie, you just need a few attachment points up front (four link or ladder and a diagonal link), at least thats the way I've been looking into it. The front points would tie into your rails and rollcage and for the back if your not tubbing it, I don't see why the stock strut towers couldn't still have the coilovers on them, just one with a regular bushed type bottom mount. Seems possible to me anyway unless I'm overlooking something important. Heck I could even use a 4 lug 8.8 and keep my weld wheels (double drilled).

Regards,

Lone

Anyone have the hub to hub width on the mustang rearends? (solid not IRS)

[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest JAMIE T

I agree Scottie, I had Rons car in mind, when I mentioned back halving. Plenty of cars(not just Zcars) have been modified from their stock suspension to a ladder bar or 4 link without tubbing(i.e. keeping stock frame rail width). The Zcar though, doesn't have much distance in front the diff to fit a ladder bar without some notching(tall notches for travel) I just went and looked at my car that has the spare tire well cut out(for easy viewing icon_rolleyes.gif ) I don't see more than a foot at the most in front of the imaginary axle I visioned there. Most ladder bars are about 30" long. A 4 link is shorter(length), but requires more vertical room. Was it MikeKZ that used the Jegs S/S bars? Kind of like a ladder bar, but doesn't use an uppertube until it gets to the axle.

Good luck guys.

Jamie

Deathstar

[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: JAMIE T ]

[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: JAMIE T ]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the disscusion, but has anyone seen the Hot Rod magazine with the rear end swap. I heard it is in 85??? I could be wrong. There has to be more info on this posted somewhere. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Drax,

I think the problem is one of gearing, not strength. If you can get VSLD's with ratio's around 3.08 - 3.23 or so then it might be attractive. Personally I don't need the strength as much as a more usable first and second gear with the T56. First in particular is pretty short IMHO considering I can start in 2nd without a problem. Personal preference I guess, I've hybrid'ed it this far, might as well go all the way driveline wise.

Regards,

Lone

Ah, good point lone. I'm seriously thinking that when the time (and money) comes I will be going viscous LSD. But unless you have an engine that likes to cruise at 3000-3500 I can see why you wouldn't want that.

James if you see this, can you estimate what your VLSD swap would cost to duplicate?

Guest Anonymous

I have not seen the hot rod artical.

I dont build race cars, but I have a friend who does. He knows his stuff uses a jig, bends his own tubeing, makes his own chassis etc.

We have talked your question over several times concerning my 280 Z. To do it right will be expensive.

If you do the swap you will pretty much have a back halfed car.

Not enough room for a ladder bar set up to function properly. A four link will require a proper mounting point for the coil overs which will have to tie into the chassis which becomes the roll cage. The front mounting point for the 4 link must also be attached solidly to the chassis and cage.

I have worked with him on weekends on other client's cars and have helped him sort out other peoples work. This sometimes means cutting off the rear clip and starting over.

The bottom line is this. If it is not done right, meaning square, with the proper intersect points, travel, spring rates, shocks and constucted solidly, you get a car with a chassis that is unpreditable and can't be relied upon.

As for the 8.8...

He has built cars with the 8.8 that you spoke of that run in the 5s in the 1/8. He says that it is a good piece and there are a lot of aftermarket parts for it.

He mentioned that a 12 bolt may require less HP to turn than the 9 inch and in stock form is just as strong. The 9 inch is great because of all the aftermarket attention and HD parts that are made for it. The 9 inch is the Small block chevy of rearends.

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but I hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous

Only problem with the stock 12 bolt is the C clips. They break, axles slide out. (same with the 8.8? C clip eliminator time..) Yeah, the 9" is the SBC of rear ends, and with a fab'ed axle housing and aluminum center section its weight wouldn't be a issue, its price will be though, third members are pretty expensive these days. But its hard to beat its strength.

Regards,

Lone

Be aware that the 8.8 C-clip eliminators leak and aren't designed for hard cornering loads - no biggie on a drag car bit... The right way to setup an 8.8 is to use 9inch ends which also allows you to use brake setups like the one from the Explorer.

I too would like to know more about the VLSD setup - especially for an R230 rear. Lone, how tall are your tires? I too would like a usefull 1st and 2nd but would also NOT want a 6th that couldn't be pulled.. Anyone looked into swapping gears in the trans? There are a couple of versions aorund, perhaps some juggling could be done? I seem to recall the R230 ratios are even lower than 3.7 right? icon_sad.gif

Guest Anonymous

Shorter than the 14" 70 series that came off it. I'm using a 55 aspect ratio 15's, so yeah its short. I'm seeing near 2 grand at 65-70, so I could go more gear. Your motor revs way more than this stock 350 (which is pretty flat by 5000 rpm's) so you probably won't have a problem in 1st and 2nd quite as badly. Not to mention with your 17's your final gear ratio is probably quite a bit higher than mine. Third gear is really the best in my car, second to third chirps it really hard (also causes my rear end to clunk the floorpan pretty good, probably need a new front diff mount and cabled or strapped down), but third really gets with the program pretty good. I'm still looking at my options (as well as maybe a few fresh ideas) as I know the rear end needs upgrading and if I can get slightly better gearing at the same time that'd be great. I'm standing in line behind Scottie for a 3.31 R-200 but they aren't exactly falling out of tree's and I don't have the experience with the R200's to put a ring and pinion in even if they are available. Oh well, I just have to ponder it longer, something will come to me I'm sure.

Regards,

Lone

Guest John Adkins

quote:

Originally posted by Dan350Z:

Thanks for the disscusion, but has anyone seen the Hot Rod magazine with the rear end swap. I heard it is in 85??? I could be wrong. There has to be more info on this posted somewhere. Thanks

Hi Dan,

check out the Hot Rod Magazine Online Archives and search for Datsun Z. You can get articles in PDF format for 1.99 an article. Kind of expensive, but beats having to go down to the library and trying to get back issues icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

thanks John I will take a look at that link. I thank everyone for the disscussion. It gives me a lot more to think about. I am currently running a 77 280z with about 330HP 700R4 automatic with the JTR setup. My tires are 14inch and are about 24-25inchs tall. I spin alot on the one wheel at the track and just wanted to get somthing that will last. icon_redface.gif)

I may have those articles squirrled away. Trouble is it woud be mixed in with the other 500 or so mags I've got! Series spanned several issues and included paintbodywork on the car in bright red. They ran some early EFI setup that I think was even MAF. Ahead of it's time to say the least!