HybridZ

Another mustache bar question

Owen

Got my LDS brace and mustache bar drilled for the R230 from Dave last week, thanks Dave! Everything is mounted up except for the front mount which has to be built from scratch.

I believe the mustache bar for my R180 was mounted with the cylindrical mounting points facing outwards towards the rear. But with the R230, the diff's mounts interfere with the mounts where the safety strap was mounted. So what I did was to turn the mustache bar around to gain a couple of inches clearance.

Now the diff is sitting a little more towards the rear than before. Is there a problem with this? I thought I had read someone mentioning turning the mustache bar around for the R200 but I couldn't find the info. My only other alternative would be to grind the safety strap mounts off and turn the mustache bar back around.

I took a bunch of pictures which I will post tonite if I have the time.

Owen

The most important thing is to get the diff "centered" so that the halfshafts don't have to angle forward or backwards to get from the hubs to the diff.

From the factory, the R180 was set up so that it was pushed too far foward by an inch or so. The R200 flips around (rings forward) and has a little bend in it that pushes the diff slightly forward again to achieve center.

I have no idea what the measurements on the R230 are. But if the distance from the rear mounting surface to the output shaft centerlines is the same as the R200, then you should be okay. Might want to put a piece of metal between the diff and the R180 bar to shim the diff to center if the measurements are exact, R230 to R200.

Oh boy, I REALLY want to see those pics! Do please document this as best you can and tell us any snags you run into. If my clutch LSD goes this will be high on my list of alternatives and any pioneer work you do will be appreciated by all! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Owen,

Leave the mustache bar like you have it. The half shafts will line up nicely with the diff set back like you have it. As for the safty strap mounts, just unbolt them and then use that as your mounting point for the front mount. Mark