HybridZ

Should I Upgrade My Clutch System?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

In the conversion of my Z, whoever did the work left the original Datsun hydraulic clutch system in place. I have read here and other places (such as te JTR book) that the Datsun clutch system should be replaced in a conversion. How much should this worry me? I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor very hard to shift, especially when stopped. The car shifts fine when moving(1-2, 2-3, 3-4), but grinds often going into first and reverse after stopping.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

When you say "original" what exactly do you mean? Original as in there's a hydraulic master and slave or what? What trans do you have? Generally what most have done it buy a Tilton master (size opinions vary somewhat) and an OEM slave form GM depending on the transmission. Hooking them up is -3 or -4 braided line and fittings. If you're getting grinding and it's hard to shift you may want to upgrade - it's not hard IMO.

Lastly, buy the JTR book on V8 swapping. Your car may already be done but you could learn alot and the wiring section could come in VERY handy for you. A worthwhile $27 someodd dollars or so icon_biggrin.gifwww.jagsthatrun.com

You can use the Z slave cylinder, but typically you need to increase the diameter of the master cylinder to 13/16" or 7/8" to get full clutch release. Tilton, Girling, others make aftermarket ones that work fine.