HybridZ

Myron - A question on your headers.

I was checking out the photos of your car and noticed your headers don't look like regular "block huggers." It also looks like you have angle plugs but there is a lot of clearence.

What kind of headers are they and do you like them? My spark plug boots clear my Hooker block huggers but I would like a little more room. Also, the ports do not match up very well to the header flanges.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, thanks also for the humor!

Speed, I have had many problems with the header/angle plug head combo. When I originally installed the motor I had the summit block hugger headers (69.99). I had the motor sitting very low in the car and

was very happy with all the clearances,

the headers fit perfectly with room to spare between the frame rails and the starter and steering rod...that was until i tried to put plugs in it. As it turns out there was no way that i would be able to get that combo to work, I tried short plugs,dimpleing the header to no avail and I was not about to scrap the 1000.00 dollar heads! So i went to the local custom street rod shop and told the guy my problem. He said easy fix, just buy the reversed tube block huggers for 120.00. These headers have the two inside cylinders closest to the block where the summit was just opposite with the two inside tubes farthest away from the block. now the problem is lack of clearance between the steering arm and the frame rails and starter! Long story longer..I had to make new motor mounts and raise the engine about

2 inches straight up. Clearance is tight

and i had to use header wrap to keep the

headers from melting the factory wiring loom. If you would like send me your email and i will send a few close up pics.

of the clearance...

Hope this helps.... what humor??

Myron

Thanks Myron, I wasn't sure what you had but it looked interesting. Hedman makes some "Tight Tubes" that are supposed to be even closer than the block hugger type. They do it by bringing all the tubes together in a line instead of the usual cluster of 2 in front and 2 in back. The ceramic coated ones aren't cheap so I don't want to waste the money if they are not going to work.

You can find them on page 175 of the April 30, 2000 Summit Racing catalog. Has anybody tried these headers? If so, how do they work? Any clearence problems?

Thanks

Mike and Speed:

I have the ZZ4 Chevy 350 crate motor with angle plug heads. I used the Hedman tight tubes with good success. The only gripe is that when changing plugs I had to loosen the header from the head to get them all out. This was not a lot of work. I use 90 degree connectors on the wires.

My mounting configuration is the JTR kit minus the spacers under the front crossmember, non-HEI distributor 1/2 to 3/4" from firewall.

If you would like me to take any measurements for you, let me know. I think you will like them.