HybridZ

project 250 gto

Guest krnmonkey

Guest krnmonkey

i was wondering what you guys think would be the best Z to have as a base to this project? Would it even matter between a regular or a 2+2?

Guest OnlyOneZ

i have only seen one 2+2 conversion to GTO and it didn't look good. Proportions looked wrong, especially the roof line.

Guest krnmonkey

really i would think cause of the larger wheelbase it would look more proportional. any1 else help with whats the best Z to base your 250gto project on? referring mainly to body styling, not motor sizes or some interior detail.

Unfortunately the wheelbase on the 2+2 is longer in the wrong area - the cabin. The original GTO has a much longer nose than the Z car but from the windshield back it is quite similar. Of course the windshield on the GTO stands up straighter.

I have never seen a GTO kit for (or on) a 2+2 and it would take extensive modifications to the rear of the kit to make it fit. When you were done it still wouldn’t look right because the roof line would be to long and look all wrong.

To do it right you would have to extend the nose like Chelle did. Then it would be hard to tell it from the original. You should check out the car that Chelle has built because it is probably the most awesome Z based GTO around.

Speed

236622_9_full.jpg

:) thanks for the kind words Speedracer, tho I have to tell you, the pics of your car inspired me for a long time to do one of these cars! And I still have lots more changes in mind for the red car, but it's getting better.

krnmonkey- I saw one 2+2 280z GTO long ago - and would not suggest it either. The roof and were the door meets the rear fenders just don't look right. The most important thing is to find a rust free chassis to start with, and budgeting 2-3 times what you think it will cost. If you're going to spend $5000+ on fiberglass and that much or more mounting it and doing paint it would be crazy to find a $200 rusty or wrong (2+2) chassis. Spend a little more for the best doner car you can find.

best of luck, read the archives here and use members here as resources, there's a lot of great, helpful people here

Chelle