HybridZ

I don't get it??? T-56 question.

Mike kZ

Mike kZ,

So we know its a high gear your trans is stuck in; "high gear" being 6th, 5th & maybe even 4th.

If memory serves me correctly-the 1st gear is at the very front of the trans case-with each succeding gear, inside the case, going rearward toward the shifter being 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th. Further, if memory serves me correctly; 1st & 2nd share the same shifter fork, 3rd & 4th share a shifter fork & 5th & 6th would then share the same shifter fork with also reverse just to the side of/and below the main shaft & slightly above the countershaft of the 5th/6th gear & reverse would have its own engagement mechanism....sometimes called a reverse idler gear/

If this is correct then your shifter fork or shifter linkage that is malfunctioning is toward the rear of the case!

I'm not familiar w/T-56 inner guts but this is the way a 5spd is put together, a 6spd shouldnt be too different.

Just thinking out loud/hope this helps.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update: I just pulled the tranny out and it wasn't as hard as I thought! It took me a little more than an hour, and I was taking my time. For those of you with T56s and you have tranny problems it's not that tuff to take out. I removed the drive shaft, and tranny cross member, then with the jack under the rear of the tranny, slowly let the tranny come down, while checking the fire wall to make sure the distributor did not hit. When I angled the engine/tranny enough I braces the engine and took out the bolts after the bellhousing (left that on). I pried it apart and disconnected the slave cylinder and backed off the clutch arm from the bearing. Then sloly brought it to the ground with my jack. It was realy easy! icon_biggrin.gif . On Monday I'll bring it to a friend of mine that owns a tranny shop, and see what he says.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Mike kZ ]

Update #2: Just talked to the tranny guy, and he said that T-56s have a problem of sticking in either 5th or 6th gear, he has seen many of these. So be prepared just in case! . It's goin to cost me $250 in labour plus parts! icon_rolleyes.gif

Update #3 Just talked to the trany guy. 5th and 6th gear forks were broken and also the rail holding them. With the small parts kit (snap rings, shims, bearing kit,etc..)the cost will be $850 w/labour! ouch!!!!! He said I was lucky the gears and sycro's(sp?)didn't get hurt, that would have been $1200!!! Moral, of the story, don't brake anything in you trany it cost a ton! icon_eek.gif

Hrm, I didn't mention it but when I pulled my "fill plug" I found pieces of magnet stuck to it as well. Very small and more like a grey coating than real pieces but I'm just a bit worried about my tans too. after pondering it a bit (and having flushed the trans BTW) I've decided to "let it eat". If it goes I'll take care of it. Trans feels a touch notchy shifting it without the motor running etc. - I hope the trans is okay. I'll run it awhile once the engine is up and change out the fluid a few times. If the chip magnet has disintegrated as it appears is has getting rid of the magnetic particles is going to be VERY tough. may have a line on a new trans for a reasonable price if I need it but I hope to not have to go down that path.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles but at least it'll be all good once it's gone through. How had was it to find someone who understood the guts of a T56? I seem to recall hearing awhile back that experienced folks were hard to find, I hope that's no longer the case. Any idea when you'll be back on the road?

Sorry to hear that Mike; unfortunately we can only give you morale support & not financial support!

Just keep in mind....you really have one "Seriously Bad to the Bone Z" & as Davy said; this should be pretty close to the last major investment for you prior to kicking some major street but.

Keep us updated: I know that you, like Pete, have put a lot of elbow grease and money into your car & cant wait to get it street worthy/let us know how it turns out!

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Thanks for the support guys!! $500+ for parts sure sounds steep to me. I'm going to call Chevy parts today and check that.

BLKMGK, This shop doing my trany specializes in stick shift tranys only, and you have to take it out and bring it to them. They are the only ones in Atlanta. (Southern Gear)