HybridZ

exhaust... is duals needed the whole way?

Guest scca

just builing my exhaust finally and was torn between full duals or going from dual 2.25" into a single 3" muffler..i was thinking that this would be sufficient??

whats a stock mustang have dual 2"?

this is going to REMAIN a stock (relatively) 5L - i dont need more power in something with no roof/////

A single 3" is fine. Rick Johnson sold me his single 3" system and was running 400-450 hp. He installed a single 3.5" system and there was no power difference! Both systems were mandrel bent and very well thought out. I think you'll be fine. My $.02

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Should be fine, I'm upgrading to pretty much that very thing right now. I was running dual 2" to 2.5". Changing to 2.5" into a single 3" with a Summit turbo muff. I'll let yall know how it sounds when its done, but 3" seems totally big enough to me. (MOF it looks damn huge to me..) icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

ordered a 18" body sebring stainless steel 3" in /out.....

will do 2.25 duals past the tranny and then into one 3" -- all mandrel bends of course!

Guest dankinzle

yeah 3" should be fine. I've got dual 2.5 into 3.5 and it looks just monstrous out the back of the car. hehe. Just wondering though. I think it'd be easier to instead of make a 2.25 mandrel, just do a 2.5" compression bend. the 2.5s aren't that much bigger if you're worried about ground clearance. I kind did this. I used mandrels for the major turns out of the headers and for the big S turn going to the muffler in the rear. All the small bends inbetween are compression.

Oh suuure, now everyone is talking about big mufflers now that I'd almost finished agonizing over mine! :P

Do tell on the Sebring muffler, what it look like? I was just about to order a Dynomax Ultraflow round muffler (street) but now am torn! Lone, when will that Summit muffler be tested? I REALLY considered that one but had NO idea what it would sound like. Please let me know if it's going to be run "soon".

I hope to get exhaust done next week, this week has just slipped right by me icon_sad.gif I'd love 3.5 out the back but I think a 3inch pipe is enough from the front and already have the Flowmaster Y pipe. A shame none of th ericer "tips" have a 3inch inlet (lol). Most of their mufflers are all 2.25 in too!

Mike - Mustangs stock were 2X2.25 with crimp bends. In some years the bends are REALLY bad. 2X2.25 into a 3 will be just fine IMO. 2X2.5 picks up some HP on a Mustang but not much at all on a stock motor that has decent mufflers already.

P.S. Friend saw a 350 Camaro on th eroad with Ricer mufflers today. Duals he said. At cruise it was LOUD - not what I want so perhaps skipping the Apex is my best bet. Gawd this is agonizing... icon_rolleyes.gif

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

Probably end of the next week before I get around to getting it started, replaced radiator, doing the front end (grrrrr, one side went great, the other side is totally sucking, long story but the tie rod end didn't have a castle nut on it like it should have, someone put on a nylock and it does NOT want to come loose from the taper fit now.) and then the exhaust which I have to completely fabricate, bought all the hooker bends from Summit as well as some straight tubing. (Kinda cheesed me too, an extra 5 bucks per item to ship on the straight tubing because of length and then it shows up UPS plastic taped together with no cardboard on the ends and one of the pipes is bent closed on the end a bit no big, I won't use 8' of pipe, but still for the extra shipping..). I wish it were sooner and I could tell you how it sounded believe me, Suspension work ranks closely behind electrical in stuff I hate to do on cars (greasy, old tight bolts etc... icon_mad.gif )

Regards,

Lone

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

the sebring is a really nice piece..

its basically a borla copy but 1/2 the price.

i had one on the 510 and it sounded GOOD..

way better than the flowmaster i had on it before and i pickup up HP on the dyno.. like 5-6hp

i had rebello dyno my race motor with a borla vs sebring vs flowmaster. the borla maybe added 1 hp over the sebring .not enough to justify $250 muffler when the sebring i can get for a $100

and the sebring lasts longer too...

i have pics TONITE! maybe even installed..

Ooooh, lemme' know if you get an installed pic up. I want to see that muffler from the back to see if it's got the look I want. $100 for a stainless muffler is fine by me!

I hear ya' Lone. I've not had to do too much nasty suspension work but I know I wouldn't enjoy it. I might b on the road by end of next week, we'll see. I'm suposed to go out of town starting tomorrow evening but that could fall through. IF it does I'll be even further along. I'm ready to drive this puppy and am bouncing off th ewalls. Tomorrow I go looking for a muffler shop after my DISH is fixed. Vroom! icon_cool.gif

Mike shot me some pics of the Sebring muffler. That muther is pretty big and will be visible from the side. Still, I like it and the price is right! If it's not super loud I'm THERE! BIG 3 inch exit and it's all stainless baby. Can be bought polished or raw, I'm thinking polished for that added rice look. If it's too expensive polished I'll polish it myself - stainless is a bear though.

Think I could find a Folgers tip for it? So far all the tips I find have tiny inlets (lol). Clearance under the control arm could be an issue - we'll see. Mike's plugging along and I'm eagerly awaiting his thoughts on it when it's all bolted up.

DISH is fixed, previous guy was an idiot but my signal is still lower than I'd like on one bird, I'll tweak that later now that I'm hitting both birds.

Spoke to exhaust shop - no problem! Spoke to friend with trailer, he'll help! Now just need muffler icon_biggrin.gif By this time next week I MAY be on the road if everything works out. I'll take time off of work to take care of things and try to get it done. Would love to hit the Saturday cruise as a coming out and take it to work too. My coworkers are bound to be tired of hearing about it but my manager is a gearhead working a project too icon_cool.gif

Hrm, maybe test fit hood on Sunday. I am SO excited!

What's the dimensions on this Sebring muffler? Jim, I like my 3" turned down tip, they all have 3" inlets that I've seen. Decent chromed piece IMO that's stood up alright. I'll be doing new exhaust with the new headers at some point/hopefully by fall.

anyone ever ceramic coat a muffler? might be cheaper for me than the polished version...(Mike, I assume $100US was unpolished?)

Ya' that price is the 18inch unpolished unit. I'd link it but I'm away from home and can't recall the full URL sebringsomething or other icon_smile.gif Mike shot me a quick note and said it was a little louder than he thought. 18inches makes getting under the rear a bit tough. I'd hoped a 14inch would be a better choice but not if the 18 is already a little loud. The price is right - th elook too I think. I'm waiting to see final pics and find out how fast they can ship - I'm in a hurry now icon_biggrin.gif

its IN..... pics will be up tomorrow ,,

actually got the car OFF the hoist for the first time in months.. drove it in the driveway.. now to wire up the alternator and put allthe wiring away.....