HybridZ

some one modded my SU floats?

skib

yup, thats what it looks like to me.

Iv had alot of trouble with fouling plugs and all kinds of of fun carb related problems and I figured I just needed to get my AFR right but after fouling a set of plugs after about 30 sec with the carbs tuned to what was saposta be way lean I started pulling them apart to clean them and set the needle and make sure the float wasnt letting in a bunch of gas.

With alot of help that Iv gotten from Hugh (Hughdogz), who showed me how to take apart my SU's and set everything not to mention the all the info and bailing me out when i took out my radiator:icon50: (thanks man), Iv got my carbs apart and cleaned but the float looks like someone has gone and f****ed with it:fmad:

ill let the pics do the talking... (sorry about the poor quality, had to use the phone)

0603082004.jpg

0603082004a-1.jpg

the metal float

0603082005.jpg

also check out hughdogz's very cool method of tuning SU's AFR with his LM1

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=133704[scroll to the bottom]

Maybe I'm missing something but I do not see a problem. Is the float damaged and not floating? The curved piece that is on the pivot rides on the top of the float as it floats in the bowl, the tab on that same piece is pushes the popet valve and is how you adjust where the float causes the valve to open/close. I would pull out the poppet and check the seat to make sure there is no damage prior to adjusting anything, all you have to do is remove the pivot pin for the curved piece set it aside then remove the small "spring" that holds the poppet into the valve then the poppet lifts right out. If you need to remove the valve itself you need to use a 10mm socket (if my memory is right on the size) to unscrew the valve from the housing. Just make sure you are carefull because you are dealing with aluminum and brass both of which can easily be damaged.

Dragonfly

my suspecting somone messed with them is based off a set of carbs (same ones, 4 screw) that have the rubber float thats attached by a hinge. the metal float might have kind of stuck cockeyed possably?

im taking the tops from the spare set Hughdogz lent me to study (and to look at if i forgot how things went together) with the rubber floats on hinges along with cleaning it all and setting the needles to see if that works things out.

this is my first set of SU's and my second Z (first was an 80'ZX) so almost everything is still a learning experance lol but im glad to have hybridz, hughdogz, the northwestz club, and everyone else whos willing to help out a young gun