HybridZ

CV Adaptor Announcement

Scottie-GNZ

The CV adaptor that I previously offered as a group buy will be made again. With the formation of Ross' new company, Modern Motorsports, he and I have discussed it and agree overall it will be simpler for everyone if Modern Motorsports takes on the task of manufacturing and selling the adaptor. The previous group purchase was a huge effort for me and Ross has already setup to assume all tasks involved.

The price of the adaptor will be $145/pr as I previously stated. I consider Mike Kelly's description of the adaptor as "a work of art" to be the highest compliment, coming someone who is a perfectionist and expects nothing but the best for his monster project. It probably does not mean much to anyone, but I actually "lost" money on the last group purchase and could definitely not offer that price again.

Ross is investigating "options" for those who want the welding of the companion flange done or want to purchase 280Z stub axles with the package. As those details are worked out they will be announced.

Hopefully all the questions and confusion about the adaptors are behind us and we can move forward with helping make HybridZs not be afraid to put the hammer down. This assumes, of course, that you have decent tires icon_biggrin.gif. Expect to hear from Ross on the details about how we get this off the ground.

first off, it was great talking with Scottie. It's always a pleasure talking hybridz with someone else...someday we'll have to talk more about our cars than some little metal adaptor icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll add to this later but for now:

-drawings/plans of the adaptor are not available to us so this is task No.1

-a fellow measurement inclined friend is measuring up his set of Scotties unused adaptors/sketching and then sending it all to me (including adaptors) to redraw and verify.

-once verified they'll go to the machine shop where they'll ensure the drawings are a fit to the actual flanges (for those unaware, this adaptor has a machined pocket to fit the rectangular flange of the comp. flange)

-these welds are NOT an extremely precision requirement but the pieces do have to be properly located during welding

-their is no binding issues with this adaptor, AFAIK and in discussion with Scottie only known binding problems were with others using 280ZXT comp. flanges which are ~2" longer than 280Z flanges......so our adaptor fits 70-78 flanges and is ~1.25" thick so the 3/4" difference places the CV shaft in it's 'happy' zone

-I would expect them to be completed in ~3weeks but a 'rush' at the CNC shop could delay that, hopefully this doesn't happen (their workload is cyclic)

-you can buy them as adaptors only and have them welded yourself, or as already welded to 280z flanges with collars/hub flanges for a strength upgrade for a 280z, or already welded to a 280z flange (and you send me your old flanges after install)

-pricing on the welded options has not been worked out and will be subject to flange costs (sources/cost inputs welcome)

-you can send via paypal for which their's a $5 cost for $150 (covers their fee) or $145 via a mailed US cheque....shipping will be $10US to the westcoast and $15US to central/east coast for the adaptors only. I've yet to price shipping the other 'options' but felt it better to get this info up rather than none at all.

payments accepted thru sales@modern-motorsports.com or via mail thru the contact info at www.modern-motorsports.com

Do let me know privately if you think you'll want them welded and/or with a full 280z axle set so I can plan accordingly.

PSS future runs/parts will not have extra charges for paypal fees but at present budgets are tightlined for max. value as the first CNC runs always cost the most.

Ross Corrigan www.modern-motorsports.com

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Ross C ]

Scottie, Ross, you guys ROCK!

I have been emailed for YEARS about the CV swap, and most people want to upgrade to the 280Z stub axles. For years it was only Jim Biondo's design (only one set ever made, bolted on my car) to speak of and about four people talked of making copies of it. That's why I sat down at the computer and drew them up!

Anyway, the inventive, accomodating Scottie came to the rescue and did a run of his weld on adapters a while ago. And the demand is still there. I know Scottie lost sleep and money packaging and mailing those puppies, which is why I paypalled him a bit extra to help out.

Now Scottie was going to sacrifice time, sleep, nerves again and do another run, because a bunch of people across the US and probably some other places wanted them.

Ross steps in to set up a company and investigates both designs, decides on the easier, and better-shaft-free-play design of Scottie's, then decides to take the project off of Scottie's hands.

Bravo! You guys are terrific!

Guest Anonymous

One thing I'm not clear on is using other differentials. Specifically I'm interested in the clutch type LSD from late Z31s (87.5-88 I think? Is that right?)

To use this diff with these adapters can I just swap out the output flanges from my '76 r200 into the Z31 r200? Or can I not use these adapters with the lsd r200?

Thanks!

You can use these adapters, 280ZX Turbo CV halfshafts (get one left, one right), and any 280Z-300ZX (Z31) R200, except the rare SS 300ZX which has the viscous LSD in it.

-Install the R200,

-pull out the little stub shafts on the outputs on the side (pop them out with a crow bar),

-slide the CV shafts in place (short one on the left). (Maybe put in new seals before installing CV shafts, for good measure?),

-get this adapter welded to the 280Z flange (if you don't buy it that way from Ross),

-install 280Z stub axles (if you haven't already), and

- bolt the CV shaft to the adapter.