HybridZ

Old hot rodders trick.

maxtor

Back in the late 50's to improve traction at the drag strip, when we had open differentials, we used to stiffen the left rear spring so that it would plant the right wheel on launches. I would think that with adjustable shocks and spring spacers, you could do something like that for our Z cars. Has anyone tried this method for traction at the drag strip? I will give it a try the next time I am at the drag strip. For you young guys, the torque action from a launch tends to raise the right rear up, causing the right wheel to spin.

This was a easy, cheap way to help traction back in the day.

I like the idea, but tuning that correctly for the short/narrow s30 might be a trick. Also, it kinda kills the daily driveability of the car, unless I'm missing something.

... but yes, I do believe that with a bit of math based on how much power you're putting down and a good guess at how much weight is being transferred by rotation, you could maximize your traction without swapping to an LSD.

I can see that working for a solid rear because the whole axle would try to rotate counter to the force applied by the pinion gear to the ring. But with an independent rear suspension, I think all it would do is try to is rotate the differential itself. No vertical force can be transfered through the half shaft joints.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

You beat me to to that Nigel ^^.

The nice thing is that if you are very equal in the rear end, alinement, tire pressure, etc, you can get traction out of both tires often, in a straight line. This is why some people thing they have a lsd that really do not.

I can see that working for a solid rear because the whole axle would try to rotate counter to the force applied by the pinion gear to the ring. But with an independent rear suspension, I think all it would do is try to is rotate the differential itself. No vertical force can be transfered through the half shaft joints.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Yep,, you have a good point. It would not work for IRS units.

You beat me to to that Nigel ^^.

The nice thing is that if you are very equal in the rear end, alinement, tire pressure, etc, you can get traction out of both tires often, in a straight line. This is why some people thing they have a lsd that really do not.

I have been loosing traction the two times I took it to the drags, and thought that it was right wheel spin. Because of your post, I just took the car out front of the house and got on it. It left equal tire marks from both wheels as far as I kept my foot in it.

So with this information, I will take the car out to the drags with the new slicks, and see what happens. Maybe I will not need a lsd.

No problem, getting it perfect for heavy application might be a bit difficult, well maby not. I might need to read up some more on this subject. I too have done many of 2 fire tire on an open, and have read up on the subject of balence in order to tracktion both tires in a irs.

Let us know how it goes!:)