HybridZ

LC-1 Warmup Question

zbigtim

Last weekend I installed a Innovate LC-1 sensor and controller in my Z.

The instruction manual for the Innovate LC-1 WBO2 indicates that if the sensor is installed it must be connected and operating whenever the engine is running. This makes me wonder if the sensor needs to be up to temperature before starting the engine. In some cases this may be 30 seconds or more.

I'm droping my car off this week for the bi-annual state inspection. I don't know if I need to leave instructions about the startup proceedure or remove the sensor.

BTW, having the feedback from this sensor is really awesome! I'm sure I will have questions about tuning, but I'm doing some thread searches first to make sure I'm not "beating a dead horse".

:beatdeadh

My focus right now is putting together a decent AFR Table.

Start as usual.

Waiting for the sendor to warm up before you crank the engine can cause any condensation in the exhaust/cylinders to then hit the already heated sensor, and cause problems with the sensor itself.

There are also problems if the heater element is not energized and heated by the exhaust.

If you're that worried about it, remove the sensor, and disconnect power or remove the cable.

Might be a good idea anyway, as some inspectors in some states will fail the car if you have a gauge like that installed, really why do you need one unless you're messing with engine tuning? ;) Changing tuning in some states is considered a non CARB approved modification. I don't agree with that, because in many cases tail pipe emmisions can be reduced with a good tune. I think it shouldn't matter what is on the car under the hood or not, as long as the sniffer test says the emmisions are under the refernce standards, that should be all that matters.

Start as usual.

Waiting for the sendor to warm up before you crank the engine can cause any condensation in the exhaust/cylinders to then hit the already heated sensor, and cause problems with the sensor itself.

This makes me feel better. I think I will just leave it in. In the state of Missouri, I'm not required to pass any emissions test with a vehicle that is older that 15 years.

My next question is; how do I make this a more permanent install? It looks a little hokey strapped in with tie wraps.

o2install.jpg