HybridZ

New member with a question.

Hi everyone,

I've just bought myself a '72 240z as a project car to spend alot of time on this summer. The car is in reasonable condition, but it still needs a lot of work. So i've decided to strip the car completely to fix all the rust and add some chassis reinforcements and who knows what more. Since í'm going to put in an engine with a bit more potential then the l24, i thought it might be a good idea to put it in during the restoring of the car. Now alot of options have run through my mind and i'm leaning towards a v6 because this will get alot of weight behind the front wheels en thus improve balance, center of gravity etc. I'm not really sure if it will be worth the effort and money to go v6 though so I'm still considering all the options. I really wanted to know if someone knows how much the possible engines for the swap would weigh. I know some of the nissan l6 engines are quite heavy so i'm a bit sceptical about putting one of them in.

Good to see another "kaaskop" on the forum.

Hybridz is mostly about putting turbo'd L28 motors or V8's into Z-serie cars.

Your best bet would be going this way aswell. V6's are not the standard. Small Block Chevy's can de found easily in The Netherlands and it would be easier to swap in. You could order all your needed parts in the USA. If you go with the V6 option you will have to fabricate most of the parts yourself. These parts being engine mounts, headers etc.

Have a good look around the forum, everything you need to know about Z cars can be found here.

btw. I'm in the process of buying a Imported Cali 280Z. When it's mine I'm join the Z&ZX Club Holland (http://www.z-zxclub.nl/) Maybe you can buy a L28et from someone in the club.

Greeting from the new world!

There's a book you need, no matter what kind of swap you're considering - the "JTR" book. It's actual title is "Datsun Z V8 Conversion Manual", here. Trust me, it will help you a lot. It covers all those little details you might not have thought of, the best $35.00 (25.1177 EUR) you'll spend.

Thx for the replies guys.

I've been doing some reading on the forums and i've come to the conclusion that a v6 may be a little to much trouble. I also saw tha the chevy ls1 engine + tranny is actually lighter than any of the v/l 6es i was considering. The only problem in Holland is that you have to have your car inspected by the RDW ( the dutch institute considering car safety etc. ) if you increase the number of cilinders and your hp increases by a certain percentage. So a v8 is out of the question. The car will mainly be used on the streets and maybe some track days, so i'm looking for a pretty torquey engine, and have dicided it'll have to be a 1/2 jz swap. These engines will run about 300 -350 hp reliably. I've ben thinking about the l28et but to get a respectable amount of power out one of them might decrease reliablility a lot. The only problem is that there are no cars in holland that have a 1/2 jz engine except the Toyota supra markIV. The problem is only 5(!) mkIV supras were sold through dealers in holland so i will have to look for an imported engine, maybe from germany / england. The next dilemma i'm facing is wethe to go for a 1jz or a 2 jz swap. But i will have to get some more info on the differences. I think the engines will be about the same price since they're both equally rare in holland. Ah well i'll just keep myself busy doing some cosmetic surgery on my car and wait until i know a bit more on the engine part:P

You need an examition by the RDW when the new motor/parts produce an extra 40% power then the original engine.

It's all explained here:

http://www.nurburgring.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3544 (dutch)

If you are going with the 1jz or 2jz swap your car will still need to be tested.

But with any engine swap it's considered the best option to do the test at the RDW. If you get in an (serious) accident and they start investigating they will find out you have a different engine in your car then is stated on the papers. You will be held responsible no matter what. Your insurance will be withdrawn and you'll have to pay everything yourself.

• 2 months later...

But with any engine swap it's considered the best option to do the test at the RDW. If you get in an (serious) accident and they start investigating they will find out you have a different engine in your car then is stated on the papers. You will be held responsible no matter what. Your insurance will be withdrawn and you'll have to pay everything yourself.

Actually that is not the case at the law has been changed even more cylinders isnt an 'APK' Afkeurpunt anymore.

Next to that having an APK waves you of the stated above where your insurance can refuse to pay in case of an accident ( HR 11 juli 2008, BD1845, R06/177)

The 40% rule does still sort of flys but is hard to stick.. also you are not allowed to change wheels., schoks, struts brakes etc etc if you go by the book, so where do you draw the line ?

hence the fact there are more than one v8 z's in holland ( AIko's old roadster (Chev) even RDW certified Xanders (Chev) and soon Mine with a BMW V8 (doesn't really count as well lets not type that out here ;) )

Next to that there is a turbo diesel 240z, and a top chopped Z etc ...

And there are four 1/2jz/rb builts that i know of in progress.

I know the RDW can argue 8 cylinders but there is already one so that makes it legal for others to follow (presedent werking) I do know that if you register the car by the RDW with a 6 banger and than swap to a 8 the APK cant fail your car on the fact you have two more cylinders ( the law on that changed a year ago)

I say go V8