HybridZ

3.54 from 84-86 Z31 into 240SX?

Guest On2

Hello everyone. I know this is a Z forum but you guys seem to have the most information on rear end gears. So please excuse my intrusion.

I've been doing on some research for my final drive. I have a LS1 in my 240SX with the stock 4.08 final drive. I want a lower (numerical) final drive and according to some online gear ratio calculators, the 3.54 ratio should fit my needs.

Now I have came upon the most common one for the 240SX crowd which is the 3.54 from the Q45 shortnose differential. That can be swapped in however the ring gear has to be drilled out to accomodate the larger 13mm bolts vs. the stock 12mm bolts. Other modifications with the shims and washers are also needed.

Now I have found that the 3.54 ring and pinion from the 84-86 300ZX (Turbo) R200s used a 12mm ring gear, but I think the differential housing is a longnose.

My question is: Will it fit my 240SX R200 shortnose?

Thanks

No. It will not.

Why not just swap a Q45 differential into your 240sx, or is the center a different spline. Can you run Q45 axles? Don't VLSD 240sx axle stubs mate to the Q45 center, if the splines are different.

I currently have a Kaaz 1.5 way installed. I'll likely just swap the R&P and drill out to fit the larger 13mm bolt.

Someone on another forum suggested using the Z31 ring and the Q45 pinion, but I assume you are not supposed to mix rings and pinions, right?

I currently have a Kaaz 1.5 way installed. I'll likely just swap the R&P and drill out to fit the larger 13mm bolt.

Someone on another forum suggested using the Z31 ring and the Q45 pinion, but I assume you are not supposed to mix rings and pinions, right?

Definitely do not mix the ring and pinion if they even will mate properly. :redface:

I don't see any issue boring up the bolt holes using a drill press. Make sure the offsets are the same between gear setups.

Definitely do not mix the ring and pinion if they even will mate properly. :redface:

I don't see any issue boring up the bolt holes using a drill press. Make sure the offsets are the same between gear setups.

Thanks for your help. Looks like I will be drilling.