HybridZ

tremic transmission questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone have any experience with a Tremic trans. My T5 in my camaro is shot. I am planning on putting in a 383 with lots of power. Will this trans take it? Does it shift as well as the T5?

I have one in my Z - a TR-3550. I drove it about a half mile on a quick trip up and down the street. Unfortunately, I pulled the motor and trans yesterday to fix a bad crank/bearings.

I've heard that they are fairly strong, but some say they are very notchy shifting. I didn't find mine notchy at all, but I didn't drive it enough to know. Since driving it that half mile, I added a Pro 5.0 shifter, which supposedly helps. Hanlon motorsports and Fortes, as well as Darkhorseperformance.com sell GM converted Tremecs. The recent HotRod magazine had a 4spd to Tremec swap article.

Wish I had more mile behind mine to give a better analysis to you.

I've been wondering about this for a while. People say the Tremec's are 'notchy'... what are they comparing it to? Take an E30 BMW, no notch, not even a little. Compare to the nissan tranny that came in the Z's, and the Z's have notchy shifters! I believe that I've read that the nissan engineers added the notchyness to the Z trans after the fact to give it the character of a GT sports car.

Look at all the great GT's out there, ferrari, lotus, porsche, etc. All a little notchy.

Personally I would rather have my shifter notchy than be wondering what gear I was in!

My particular Tremec, which has been professionaly rebuilt by Bob Hanlon, is NOTCHY. It has a Pro 5.0 shifter on it and still shifts like garbage. Having driven a T5 fo rYEARS and then switching to the Tremec I could never once hit third gear in a racing situation. I ALWAYS ended up missing in the heat of battle! Driving the T5 it was NEVER a problem. with the Tremec it would seem to get stuck between 1st and third - some sort of no man's land. It would hit 5th, it would sort of refuse to go in, I just never had great confidence in it. The new shifter helped greatly as did th rebuild but I still had a love hate relationship with it. Love the strength, hate the feel and noise. You like gated shifters like some of the Euro cars? The ones where if you shift wrong or too fast you break the gates off on the console? Then the Tremec is the trans for you, sign up!

Having said this - my Tremec is a few years old, has seen race duty, and when disassembled by Bob was found to have some less than smart things done by the last person in it. Bob fixed all of this for sure and he's a wiz but this puppy has certainly seen better days and it's quite possible Tremec has improved the breed. Lord knows they had room for improvement! icon_eek.gif

Guest Anonymous

thank for all the good info! How about experience with other manual transmissions. I may go to a four speed like a T-10 or muncie M21 is I cant find a good 5 or 6 speed. I have considered a Borg Warner 6 speed or a richmond. But I wish to have durability and smooth shifing. The T 5 was great until my 305 ate it. I am scared to rebuild only to have it destroyed again by a more powerful engine.