HybridZ

smog trouble

sandman825

My '73 240z runs a little rough, and boggs down when you step hard on the gas. The other day I noticed that the air pump for the smog system had no belt on it, and that the hoses are in pretty bad shape. Furthermore, only one hose goes into the air pump, and it looks like there should be another on it that maybe draws air in from somewhere. I was looking at a diagram on Autozone.com, and I guess thats what I decided haha. But I have DGV carbs, so I'm not sure where that hose is supposed to go.

But anyways, I've been searching around this forum, and I can't really find anyting about removing the smog equiptment. So I guess my question is, would me not having the air pump running, and not having that one hose attached cause problems for my engine and maybe be the cause of my slight lag? Would the old hoses maybe be causing some kind of vaccume leak?

I checked a few parts stores, and none of them seem to know which belt I need for it. Does the belt for the smog pump just run from the pump to the crank? AutoZone suggested maybe a belt that did Air Conditioning and the smog, but I thought those two components seemed awfully far away to be on the same belt.

Thanks in advance

Im no expert but the smog pump shouldn't really be affecting your performance, as I understand it the only thing it does is inject air into your exhaust manifold through the air galley. You can remove it, but it supposedly helps with emissions. The hose that goes into the smog pump normally comes from the original air filter housing. You could probably retrofit a small filter onto the intake of the pump if you really wanted to use it. It looks like the air pump belt is connected with the A/C compressor, black dragon sells them for $5 If you have old hoses on the car I would replace them anyways, they might fail at anytime.