HybridZ

Best way to remove tranny x-member mounts?

Guest Jason

Guest Jason

I need to remove the transmission crossmember mounts on my 82ZX. The mounts have weld beads on their edges joining them to a reinforced area on the tunnel. My biggest problem is that there isn't much area to work under the car. How did others deal with this?

I remember someone mentioning an air chisel...

I tried to remove mine with a 4.5" cut off wheel not much luck and an air chisel just made me deaf. Then my neighbor loaned me his blue tipped wrench (oxy-actelene torch) and we just pulled all the carpet out and the job was done in about 15 min. Nice to see another v-8er in Mass I'm in Hudson.

Guest Anonymous

Yep, air chisel here too. It was a day before my ear quit ringing (wore earplugs when I did the other side...) It was maybe 10 minutes the first side, the other less than 2, but it worked great. It left just a small layer of metal spot welded to the tunnel, fairly clean... But if I had my choice of tools, it would be been a plasma cutter... icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Lone