HybridZ

updated L series timing chain guide/tensioner...

OlderThanMe

I have a bunch of L blocks laying around and a VH45... So I was cleaning up and saw the similarity of a VH45 driver side timing chain tensioner and an L6 tensioner...uhoh.

For the pivot mount you would use the lower stock tensioner block mounting bolt hole and tap it to the larger bolt size for the pivot. A new hole may need to be drilled though for proper algnment of the timing chain with the tensioner.

You would want to use a 1994-1996 Infinity Q45 driver's side tensioner as it is of all metal construction in comparison to my 93 model which has a plastic covering which has a tendency to crack up and munch your motor(school of hard knocks, literally).

One concern is that you will need to provide oil pressure to a hole on the back of the tensioner to keep it pumped up and oiling the rear of the guide. One could tap off of any oil passage and run a little AN fitting to it.

You will also need to mount the tensioner above the deck surface of the block with some sort of mounting plate and some working on your cylinder head to clear the tensioner... I'd say it is worth it though and MUCH cheaper than importing an aftermarket tensioner for $500+.

b150562220.jpg

The spring on the side goes inside of the tensioner... check out the clip.

b150562340.jpg

b150562433.jpg

VH vs. LD28 timing chain tensioners...

b150562282.jpg

VERY close:

b150579850.jpg

I'll be doing this mod on my mockup block to see if it would be even feasable.

The hydraulic tensioner would need to have a hole/slot cut in the cylinder head to work. I believe it will fit underneath a mechanical fuel pump though.

You can forget the problem of dropping your timing chain and popping the tensioner out. Also note the clip on the tensioner, easy to lock shut for during a rebuild/repair of the shortblock.

I'll get better pics tomorow.

OTM

BTW getting one of these puppies out of a VH45 isn't easy. In a junkyard with the motor still in the car I'd estimate 3.5-4 hours of work to release it from the motor if you have never pulled a VH apart before. If you have, then maybe 2 hours of work, depending on everything that is still on the car. You have to pull the front main pully first...or have a good dremel to cut away the front cover.